View from the ground

Annual Trail Rides: 204/200 (Bareback 31/40)

Well I was having some thoughts on the way to the barn ... I haven't had my unplanned dismount for 2021 and I only have 3 weeks to go before we leave.

And so today, I had my ONE for 2021.

Everything was going really well, but I was determined to try a planned canter bareback (as opposed to the involuntary bolting gallop bareback that happened the day before). I trotted some, felt pretty good. And then I hit a spot with a slightly sloping hill and asked. Unfortunately Q didn't think I was very serious (or stable) so he only hit stride towards the top of the hill. The first few strides felt good.

As we crested the hill I was leaning forward and on top of his shoulder. Q did a sidestep right leaving me hanging mid air over where his left shoulder was. He then moved more right and I was a goner ... heading straight for a young tree that bisected me in the chest.

I saw the tree coming, thinking, oh shit. I was hoping to not crash my head on it. Instead I threw my hands forward and decided to hug it. Well it bruised my ribs instead, and left me on the ground with the wind sucked out of my lungs.

I took a picture from the ground, and then went off to grab Q 20 feet away grazing dead leaves. I had an extra peppermint in my pocket for this moment (somehow I knew) and then walked over to the conveniently close picnic table and scrambled back on.

Q was a little upset about the whole thing and got real antsy when I asked to trot again. But we kept it to a trot, and I stayed on. Hopefully this will not have ruined my confidence for the tries to come. But I think I will just stick to trotting for now.

Maybe I will set it as my goal for 2022?






Comments

  1. The phrase: 'some days you're the windshield, some days you're the bug' springs to mind. I'm glad that you are okay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! In some pain but I am planning on riding tomorrow so I guess Im not so bad. :-)

      Delete
  2. Ouch!! That sounds like a rough landing. I'm sorry you came off, but glad Q didn't leave. Read your follow up post, and I hope you feel better soon and that the ocean helps you heal <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always great to know my partner stays close, especially when I venture out! 😍

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What the whip?

Gloomy November

The Arctic Winter Riding Handbook

Trust, a two-way street

Preparing Patagonia