New Goal ... Canter Distance

Annual Trail Rides 133/200 (Bareback 7/12)

These last two years I put some focused effort on cantering more, more often and with more variations in pace. My trips and rides abroad taught me that I was riding way too conservatively on my baby green Q. 

Once that mindset shifted, I realized that the precision of my canter transitions left much to be desired. Q didnt always take the lead I requested, and I was sloppy about precision half the time ... Meaning if he didn’t take the right lead I didn't correct it. To be fair, in our first year or two of riding, Q would get supremely defensive and uptight if I micromanaged him. Since then Ive toned down the speed and harshness of my corrections, and he has become more agreeable to being corrected. Lots of “good boy”, neck pats, and letting go, make up for my occasional mistakes.

Last year we made great progress on our canter transitions which have become smooth and accurate 90% of the time. I still get sloppy about correcting mistakes, so its a work in progress.

Last year we started doing long canters, but this year Ive decided to make it my new summer goal. There is a 1.5 km stretch that Ive started cantering and I can only make it 60% before I have to stop to breathe. Yesterday I made some good progress on our second try, but this is clearly something to work on. Somewhere in the middle my breath shortens to an inhale/exhale at every second stride. Ive been trying to focus my breath but its clearly a work in progress.

The good news is that Q has developed great cadence and is minimally spooky. Considering how many other trail users (hikers, joggers, buggies) we see, that is a very good thing. Aside from the deer and the occasional runaway horse.

I rode with a lovely lady on Friday and she told me about her objective to start cantering on trail. I boasted of my great skill at helping beginners canter on trail and I shared with her some of my secrets.

- #1 most beginners do better in a group of 2 and following a quiet steady lead horse. It helps the beginner horse be less reactive and spooky and allows the beginner to focus on the canter

- #2 its better if the lead horse does a big fast trot and the second horse do a quiet lope to keep up, so the herd energy stays quiet and the beginner can go with the flow

- #3 a slight incline, medium wide trail (6-10 feet wide), straightish path (to see future obstacles) and good solid footing helps set a quiet steady pace

- #4 keep the first canters short at 10-20 strides to build confidence.

My horse can fast trot at a speed most horses canter to, and he isnt very spooky, so he is a good partner for this type of work.

I also told her she could hold her horse back a bit at a trot and canter a few strides to catch up. Less pressure.

Meanwhile, I have my own work to do at building my endurance for longer canters. Seems like I have no problem with canters up to 1 km, but after that, my breathing needs work.



Meanwhile, Q is showing the flea bitten pattern on his face that will soon cover his body. You can particularly see it around his eyes. The rest of his body is still quite dark and dappled, and his legs and mane are still quite black. I figure another year or two and we should see a dramatic difference.


Our resident artists, the city crew tasked with cleaning up the dead trees in the forest, have gotten very creative and talented with their sculptures. Behold, the little bear.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Q gets acupuncture

Come ride with me, in five sections

Gloomy November

Preparing Patagonia

Cold Sunshine