Whoa whoa dragon

Just when I start thinking Q is too mellow, and maybe something is wrong ... a fire-snorting dragon appears and he bounces me home. The first half of my trail was delightful and relaxed. The second half, Q was so amped that I feared to let him canter for not having any brakes. So in between his jumps and jigs, I promised him a long cantering session in the arena upon our return.


He lasted eight 40 meter circles (4 on each lead) at a canter before he exhaled, relaxed and was able to lope on the buckle. I gave him a double dose of that and then finished off with a gallop and sliding stop. Hopped off, gave him a peppermint and a nice pat on the neck. After which was a shower and a nice graze on the grass.

And I realized I need to do a bit more of that. I think I will declare the summer of 2020 to be the season of canter. We need to work on it. He is tricky cantering on the trail and will not consistently pick up the right lead, nor am I able to rate him with my seat. He is all go-go-go.

Next up we have the acupuncturist out on Tuesday (routine check up on his left stifle) and dentist on Thursday. No riding for me this week before Friday.


Comments

  1. My experience with Carmen is that, once the go pedal is found, she gets into a 'go go go' mode and it's hard to get her back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! He doesnt often get that way, but when he does he feels "unreasonable". ;-)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Rashid is Messing with my Mind

Stepping out in Hungary

Blog Hop: 2020 Covid Edition

Come ride with me, in five sections

Cha Cha Cha