The high road

The last 24 hours have been a collection of creature comforts and happiness seeking as I sought to repair the damage of the anxiety-ridden last 10 days. I watched “Its a Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood”, had a great ride in the woods after a long absence, and finally got a good nights sleep. Today I took a mental health day. And the sun was shining.

The last 10 days have required my attention on professional matters that otherwise would have taken a downward spiral. The situation had me doubting myself and putting much credence on my naysayers. I chose to address it head on, and take the high road. It took the form of a public apology in a large forum while watching the confusion of my audience most of whom were left dumbfounded. It was a great big serving of humble pie.

I experienced a wide array of emotions leading up to that moment and after, including guilt, doubt, defiance, anger, fear, mistrust and embarrassment. I came home after a trying day to a husband who listened and then said “Its good to put yourself in embarrassing situations. It makes you stronger”.

I slept on that.

And Mr Rogers saying “you were once a kid too”

Today I woke up thinking about courage and risk. And the humility to make a mistake and own it. I took the high road. And it was exhausting.

So here we are, sun shining and temperatures mild with a cumulative dump of 50 cm of snow. My mental health day took me to the barn loaded with carrots and nicker treats and was received by one very happy pony!

Despite 10 days of holidays, Q was happy to get back into the routine with a good grooming and a lovely trail ride in some pretty heavy snow. The challenge of the deep powder kept Q pretty quiet and I was able to enjoy his company, the beautiful surroundings and the friendly ear of my buddy B as I brought him up to speed on the drama passed. End of chapter.


I took the high road and Im proud.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Q gets acupuncture

Harvest season

Preparing Patagonia

What the whip?

Come ride with me, in five sections