On the mend



Annual Trail Rides: 101/200 (Bareback 3/12)

I arrived at the barn to find Q buried in a big pile of fresh hay with his best buddy Chester. He was in no rush to see me as his pile of hay was being topped up by more hay ... but he came regardless and I felt like he was striding better in the driveway and the barn aisle. He had done a real number on himself, rolling in the heavy sand, and literally looked like Pig Pen with a cloud of dust everywhere. I decided to wash him first, fix his feet, ears, and bridal path ... and if he still looked good we might stroll out on a bareback ride.



Well, it all turned out right. We manoeuvred around the hay wagons and piles, hopped on and took some tentative steps towards the trailhead. By the time we were on the trails, Qs natural walking stride was back. Thank goodness! We meandered around the trails and Q even gave me some big bold trotting. He was a bit tentative when roots were underfoot but I tried to navigate around those. Overall I was pleased by his obvious improvement and my increasing comfort bareback. I might use this next week of slowish trails to work on my bareback skills. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Q gets acupuncture

Gloomy November

Riding English or Western? Which is safer?

Canter Protocol

The complications of horses on multi-use trails