Early mornings and deer flies

Holy camoly did I have a good ride today! We are thick in the middle of our second scorching heat wave (and ensuing forest fires) of spring, as summer just started yesterday. It is an unusual weather pattern.

So I planned for an early start to get on the trails for a quick ride before the sun started beating at 10. I was back at the barn with a sweaty horse in tow by 945.

I had planned for a short loop of mostly walk and trot with a bit of canter. I wanted to check in with my buddy Q as our last trail ride ended in a “discussion” about key principles when heading home, and our ride after that was a tough cantering session that left Q with sweaty eyeballs. So it was time for another trail diagnostic.

He was brilliant. An angel. The deer flies were out in abundance so by the second mile I launched us into lovely jog that Q proceeded to maintain in rhythm without prodding, holding or any aiding as he was on the buckle for two miles. It was so smooth and relaxed that I was able to pull out my iphone, unlock it, flip to video and record two different stretches without missing a beat (except for the last video where at the mid-point he dropped to a walk for one stride, I added a light calf on the left and he resumed the jog). It was our most brilliant stretch of jog on the buckle ever.




By the time we got back to the barn, the last stretch home under the baking sun must have sucked all the energy out of him. He became lethargic and I towed him into the washstall for a very long icy shower, and then we went to graze some grass as he cooled off.

Its become a running gag that my food-centric horse will only let me eat an apple in his presence without pestering me IF he is grazing grass. So I grabbed an apple and watched him graze. And then he looked at my apple and decided he wanted it. Given how awesome he was on trail, I was feeling unusually benevolent so I gave it to him. He took one bite, dumped the rest on the ground and went back to the grass. I took a picture of his disdain as I picked up his rejected apple and reoffered it to him. No thanks.



The scorcher of the day had most hiding under our “Tree of Wisdom”. Even the horse was enjoying his moment in the shade. It is literally 10 degrees cooler under there and often with a nice breeze. But the projects and ideas we cook up under there lose all traction when we leave the tree to be in the scorching sun. These heat waves have me pining for the cool of winter.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ouch says the ground

Stepping out in Hungary

Canter Protocol

Pocketful of mints, aka the slowroll

Pumpkin Spice and the empty cup