Parking and sticky snow

Spring break has arrived! Although we are still technically in winter for another 3 weeks? Anyways, school is out and much riding will be had in the next week before I have to pack my bags for Central Asia.

We got a funny dump of snow these last few days with high moisture and then a sudden drop in temperature. So what should have been 15 cm actually looks more like 5 because it all got flattened out with the water content. And then with the cold, it stuck to everything.



Making for a very merry winter wonderland. And amazing footing on the trails that made for an absolutely delightful canter stretch that lasted forever and had my buddies begging to walk.

Oh, and just to resolve my worries about Q being lethargic... turns out he is doing just fine. When the footing is tight, he is happy to fly. He had much more zip today than my last few rides. And volunteered a flying lead change. Now if only I could convince him to do that on cue. 🤔

And yet, he loves to park. He parks in the aisles, parks at the mounting block, parks for peppermints, and parks for grooming. We now park even when the barn is super busy. He is a parking star.






And my fellow boarders have stopped giving me the evil side-eye when he is loose in the aisle. Perhaps they have just given up on me?

The dapples are still out in full force and the spring shedding has begun. Colors often shift in the shoulder season, so I wonder what I might end up with this summer? His tail is definitely getting whiter but he is still on the right range of dark.




Comments

  1. He looks so cute standing there. That could be Carmen except she’d have a lead rope attached. And the sticky snow is perfect for riding until it freezes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful, I love it. Practical horse.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Q gets acupuncture

Harvest season

Preparing Patagonia

What the whip?

Come ride with me, in five sections