Blinding snow in the wintry mix

It was one of those days, where roads were treacherous, cars were in the ditches, snowplows were out, and you needed 2 bottles of windshield washer fluid to cover 50 km. As I watched my husband make me breakfast before I headed to the barn, I prided myself of managing a return to riding Q this last week without a single lunge or free lunge session. We rode, we conquered.

And then, the universe laughed.

After a few days off (I was SO sore), I returned in the worst weather to tackle up my horse in the balmy -1 degree temperatures and score another ride on the good footing (while it lasts). Well, Q was having none of my silly walking business and he blew past my 10 minute trot phase like he was on fire. We were going so fast, the sideways snow was stinging my eyes. I was blinded by the snow.

Q then proceeded to bolt a few times down the path (where we often canter) and so instead of getting all directive on him, I decided we just needed to walk it home.

Which we did. But clearly either Q needs to buck it out, or we are going to need a few more heavy trotting rides in succession before we can get back under control. For sure I can not ride with anyone in these conditions because it might go nuclear.

The plight of the sensitive horse. 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Q gets acupuncture

Gloomy November

Riding English or Western? Which is safer?

Canter Protocol

The complications of horses on multi-use trails