Less unsettled

Annual Trail Rides: 194/200 (Bareback 27/40)

These two weeks are busy with work and teaching so riding is taking a backseat in the form of showing up at the barn after several days of absence and then wrangling the fire breathing dragon for as safe a trail ride as I can make it. Somehow, though, and perhaps because of Qs advancing 8 years of age, his fiery reactions are now “less unsettling”.

Last Sunday I showed up on a chilly but sunshiny day to find Q head butting me on the crossties, constantly pawing the ground. I tossed him in the ring for a run and he gave me some good bucks in the process. I thought all was clear, but his energy went straight up again once we were on the trail. I pushed into a trot mighty quick, dropping those reins and letting him stride out until he gave his first big blowing sign. I knew it would take 5-10 minutes. But he wouldn’t stride out, sucking back with his head up like a giraffe. I kept pushing for forward but he was stuck. And then he spooked and spun into the bush. But he only did a 45 degree turn, so I put him back on the trail and we trotted out. And then he sighed.

So we are in a virtuous cycle. Where he gets occasionally hyper/nervous, but I just let him carry on without distractions. Nothing better than a lovely flat track of good footing to just let the horse move forward and relax into their body. Because I dont react, he then finds relaxation much faster. And when he reacts, I just keep moving forward not dwelling on the “mistake”. 

And so by being “less unsettled”, Q is becoming “less unsettling”. 

I missed most of the fall foliage because of a heavy work schedule, but here is what I snagged this week.








Comments

  1. Jane tells me that the path to a calm horse is in the hind end going forward. You are proving her point perfectly.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Prague, dark and moody

Canter Protocol

Pocketful of mints, aka the slowroll

Pumpkin Spice and the empty cup

The trail that didn’t count but mattered more