Solo trail on last day of “summer camp”

It was just gorgeous today with blue skies and a cool breeze. Temperatures were hovering in the low 20s and I had a trail plan to execute. I was hoping to top 20 kmh (fail), do my new favorite zig zag trail at a canter (fail), keep a zippy pace (success), and enjoy the fabulous weather (success).


I tacked up fast (7 minutes) and left before anyone could volunteer to tag along. I wanted to enjoy my last day of “summer camp” doing my ride, no compromises.






Q was soooo mellow. I was able to trot most of the way on the buckle, and even did my first canter on the buckle until I heard a voice up ahead shout a tentative “hello?”. I couldn’t see through the shadows but saw the two TBs walking towards me soon enough. A quick chat, and we were off again.

We walked down the ravines but trotted and cantered up all four of them. I did find Q was a bit tired on some of them, but he recovered really fast. I think he will be up for a quiet recovery trail tomorrow and maybe Ill even attempt a solo bareback trail ride.

The zig zag trail on the right that is part yellow / part red is the stretch I wanted to canter completely, but I chickened out because the trail was narrower and more twisty-turny than I gave it credit for. So it was down to a trot. I also realized our transitions to canter are slow, so when I only have a section I can do 5-6 strides on I miss the transition. Something to practice when I eventually make it back into the arena.

For sure Q was very happy with all the carrots and bananas we shared upon our return.

Next week its back-to-school and a reduction in barn time from 6x to 3x a week. Its sad, but Im pleased I took such advantage of this wonderful summer season. We galloped, did all five sections, rode with lots of different riders, barebacked, and logged hundreds of kms.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Canter Protocol

Pumpkin Spice and the empty cup

Expansion of normal

Carb Coma

Gloomy November