Hello dragon, where have you been?

Annual Trail Rides: 184/200 (Bareback 25/40)

The leaves haven't quite turned to their beautiful fall foliage, but we have had some very cold mornings in the last week. One day in particular, I had just a 30 minute window for a quick bareback in the very early morning. And it was sooo cold that I was thinking I should start wearing gloves.

Once I got on, I quickly realized my Q was LIT. He abrubtly grabbed his peppermint out of my hand, and proceeded to upright prance to the trail head ... ready to spook at a leaf, or a ray of sunshine. For the first 3 minutes I questioned my sanity of riding this dragon bareback. I had not seen him in sooo long, I thought maybe he had gone away.

I stopped twice in the first ten yards to see if I should jump off and go lunge him first. And then my Q somehow told me it was ok, and that he would take care of me. And he sure did. He did a few sidesteps, snorts and half stops at things like illuminated tree stumps, and rays of sunshine ... but we essentially started that ride on the bit, and ended on the buckle.

















So yes, the dragon is back. But he sure has mellowed at age 8. Somehow he brought me back to the barn both relaxed and beaming. Ill never quite know how he does this magic, but I love every minute of it.

I decided to spoil him this week with our first BEMER sessions. I was a bit incredulous about it ... but its clear that it is doing something as his reaction when it starts and ends are pretty dramatic. And, our downhill strides have improved with only two sessions. He has another session today, and we might do a fourth day in a row on Friday.


And he got a banana. And lots of carrots. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gloomy November

Riding English or Western? Which is safer?

Happy 8th Birthday Mon Amour!

Pocketful of mints, aka the slowroll

Ouch says the ground