Blog Hop: 2020 Covid Edition

Alaina from Alberta Equest started this thread and I merrily follow in her footsteps, minus the creation of a baby human. Some great questions to ponder over this most unusual year.

What's the best thing that happened to you in 2020?
Personal:
After years of being in the precarious position of a contract sessional at the university, I finally secured a two year term as a Faculty Lecturer. I will never have the tenure or permanency of a professor (no PhD) but this is a great outcome for me as I balance between teaching and consulting.

Horsey:
The summer of canter made a big improvement in my trail confidence and helped Q learn to relax into a beautiful cantalope on the buckle.

What's the worst thing that happened to you in 2020?
Personal:
Had to cancel some pretty cool travel plans, but in the big scheme of things this seems pretty benign. March was supposed to have me spending time in Tajikistan and Istanbul, and then there was a plan to return to Europe in the late spring. At one point, we even considered renting a remote beach house on the outer banks of North Caroline or the Florida Keys ... but we cancelled those plans as things got increasingly uncertain.

Horsey:
Again, not too much bad news on the horse front except for my two stupid falls this summer/fall. I usually fall about once a year, so having two in a year stings the ego a bit. Meanwhile, horse is sound and my falls did not create any big injury.


What was your biggest purchase in 2020?
Personal:
I purchased my car this year that I had been leasing for 2 years. Really falling in love with the Subaru Crosstrek, especially when winter hits and the roads get sketchy.

Horsey:
While I was tempted for a brief second in purchasing my horse's dam, I really made zero purchases for my horse this year aside from his monthly quote of bananas, peppermints, carrots, and crunchy treats. Do vitamins count?

As a sidenote here, I used to have an unfinished basement where I would accumulate horse-related clutter. When I sold that house I ended up throwing or giving away a ton of stuff. Since then (and without an unfinished basement or empty storage space) I have seriously curbed my addiction to purchasing horse stuff.

What was your biggest accomplishment in 2020?
Personal:
Learning how to master sourdough and rye bread. It was a fun time during March when yeast was no longer available and there was a big shortage on flour. Constraint being the mother of invention, I learned a whole new skill.

Horsey:
Aside from the summer of canter, I also cleaned up excess tack that was no longer necessary. I sold my County saddle, show bridles and show shipping gear. At every sale I felt relief.

What do you feel COVID robbed you of in 2020?
Personal:
Personally, I feel COVID robbed me of a sense of security. At the same time it renewed my sense of "carpe diem" and pushed me to clean up my life of the obligations that had accumulated.

Horsey:
While there was a period of 5 weeks where I was not able to see my horse or go to the barn, COVID really eroded my trust in our institutions, political representatives, and media. It became clear that we were pawns in the agendas of others, oftentimes misguided and misinformed.

Were you subject to any COVID Impulse Buys in 2020?
Personal:
There was a whole lot of purchasing of ice cream and snacks back in March, which since then has been curbed. We also built a big garden in our backyard which was quite the impulse move no doubt influenced by the media messages on victory gardens.

Horsey:
I feel bad for my horse now, because clearly I don't buy him much. On the flip side, he doesn't ask for much either. His motto is, the dirtier the better.





Comments

  1. Congratulations on obtaining a Sessional contract! Though i'm currently on Mat Leave, I'm a program Assistant at our local College so I work closely with the instructors in my department and I know just how exciting securing that contract can feel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A little but of permanency in such an impermanent world 😃

      Delete
  2. I think that you did really well this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Maybe not as exciting, but lots of good times. And quiet times. And baked goods. 🤣

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What the whip?

Pumpkin Spice and the empty cup

Gloomy November

The Arctic Winter Riding Handbook

Canter Protocol