I dont need you anymore

Im all for the student becoming the teacher, and learning to fly on their own. I live in a world where education is the core but everyone is an optional player.

But I cant help someone who won’t help themselves or take responsibility for their situation. If you want to work with me you better be ready to commit to the process and do your homework.

I have zero patience for slackers.

Classes start tomorrow and Im revving up for my first day of the year speech where I explain to my students that they can choose to stay or go. But staying means work. They then have two weeks to withdraw.

Our poor wounded warrior at the barn is having surgery tomorrow and probably getting her broken jaw wired shut for 4-6 weeks. An awful situation made worse for this self-employed rockstar that will probably not even be able to teach while she recovers from her broken jaw and ribs. And of course riding is out of the question.

I am simply aghast that her two most bumbling students with no natural talent, work ethic or stick-with-itness have decided that they can now continue the training of their young and unpredictable horses without her. It took only one day before each of them started taking risks. A slippery slope.

I have to stop myself from feeling insulted on her behalf and chiding their arrogance. But they don’t know what they don’t know, its blissful ignorance.

The young trainer will also learn an important lesson in the fickleness of clients, and how her own risky behaviour can damage her business, her income, her independence. 

Eventually we all have to drop the reins and see if the work can be accomplished without the micromanagement of a trainer or the set of tools and aids we have come to use as crutches. Can you get a walk-canter transition without that dressage whip? 

As I waited for buddy M to join me on a trail ride, I went to the big ring to hang out and maybe do some stuff. I had no plan. So I did some loops and tight serpentines on the buckle using some neck rein and outside leg and Q was pretty good. He got even better by the fifth serpentine. I added some turn on the haunches, turn on the forehand, sidepass, backing up, and did some nice 20m jog circles with changes of direction. All on the buckle. He needed some reminders every once in a while of what I wanted but got it nailed down by the second or third try.



Five minutes later I was done. It was a lovely 5 minute tune-up before trail. No drilling involved.

Would you try harder if you knew it would only last a few minutes and we would quit once you gave me three good tries? I know I would. Because Im lazy, and horses are lazy too.

And maybe thats why those clients wanted to fly solo and test their own abilities. To find their limits, and see where their capabilities are.

Drop those reins.



Comments

  1. At least they aren’t abdicating all responsibility for,keeping the horses in work.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Q gets acupuncture

Gloomy November

Cold Sunshine

Canter Protocol

The complications of horses on multi-use trails