Fluffy ❄️

It was a mild -14 degrees celsius today and I put on my winter breeches without long underwear. I was feeling daring. But all was good as we headed out in about an extra foot of fresh new powder. On top of groomed trails. Everything was light and fluffy!

I went alone, so I got a chance for a few nice canter stretches although Q was still very zippy. It was like I wanted to be a Sunday driver and he wanted to zoom-zoom-zoom like a Formula 1 race car driver. He did not understand one bit why I kept asking him to slow down.

As we started heading back home, he started bouncing when we got to a stretch where we almost always canter. And so, as a result, and with much reminding, we walked back on the buckle. I really can’t stand jigging. A few minutes later a horse was cantering up our ass, so I forgave my overly rambunctious horse for his zeal and we had a lovely ride home. Walking. On the buckle.

Love his radar ears! Where shall we go now?




Even when he is pumped, he does a very nice walk on the buckle and is not particularly spooky. But as soon as I pick up speed it can be quite the discussion to keep his energy contained. When I've ridden several days in a row, it is not such a struggle. But these days, weather and footing is not always cooperative.


The cross country skiers were finally out today and we saw quite a few. It was nice to see Q up and curious, without bolting and reactive. By the 10th skier he was pretty ho-hum. But it is always nice to see the surprised reaction of the skiers when they see us (see video). We had a lovely conversation after this video clip where I explained to them how riding in this fluffy powder is like flying with angels. No sound, just gliding.


Happy fluffy day!

Comments

  1. have you seen where people cross country ski behind a horse. I bet Q would be great at that!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Skijoring! Yes, it does seem like fun ... I feel like I still have so much work to do getting Q accustomed to gates and drags, before attempting that. They seem to do it with downhill boots and it really is another way to race. But some of the locals here would like to start using our horsetrails for skijoring ... Im not quite sure it fits with the M.O. of our trail network, but maybe we will figure out a way.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Quaint Krakow

Prague, dark and moody

Canter Protocol

My worst hour

Pocketful of mints, aka the slowroll