Galloping to Buckingham Palace

The weather has been spectacular in London since we arrived, so as soon as I saw my husband off to work at the nearby tube station I headed two blocks over from our hotel to the Ross Nye Stables and hired a horse to go traipsing through beautiful Hyde Park.





Once my lovely Polish guide Dagmara figured out what kind of rider I was, she had a new plan. We would trot over to Rotten Row, intercept the Queens cavalry in their drill formations and gallop towards Buckingham Palace. How was a girl to say no to that?

Albus, my trusted grey-dappled cob was super into the plan and I have no idea why they gave me a crop. This horse had more zoom-zoom-zoom than a racing motorbike. As soon as I would say “ok”, we were off in the lead and he kept his steady pace throughout. No nagging this smart cob.

Dagmara was also a super guide and we talked politics, Polands role in the EU, Brexit. As a graduate in journalism and political science, she had so much to share and the time literally flew by. She also convinced me that our next trip must include Gdansk, a seaside town in Poland where she grew up, and I promised her when I am back in London that I would make the side trip to Windsor Castle, and go riding in Richmond Park.

I kept myself really busy the rest of the day, walking 12 km mostly through Hyde Park, visiting Buckingham and Kensington Palace, seeing the Wildlife Photographers of the Year exhibit at the National History Museum, afternoon tea, etc and now Im pooped. Tonight, my husband is doing the pub with his colleagues after work, while I do conference calls with my colleagues for the work that is waiting for me at home. Lives of the digital nomads.

I think I will sleep well tonight, dreaming of that gallop towards Buckingham Palace on the infamous Rotten Row, a distortion of the original name “Route du Roi” as it links Kensington Palace to St James Palace.


If you are ever in London, I strongly recommend Ross Nye Stables. Let them know you can ride, and book an early morning time. You will likely be solo with the guide and they can better cater to your riding style. They can provide boots and helmet if you dont want to lug them in your suitcase. If you have beginner riders with you, no problem. They pony beginners through the street traffic (epic!) and can keep on ponying throughout the ride if needed. They take great care of the employees and the horses that get regular vacations at the country farm.







Comments

  1. Oh my god! I actually did that exact ride back in 2008. It was a wonderful experience. Not as much fun as galloping cross country in Ireland but pretty close. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew we were kindred spirits! You must tell me more about this Irish adventure as I am planning a trip there next year!

      Delete
    2. Here’s a post I wrote about it: https://journeywithadancinghorse.blogspot.com/2018/01/learning-to-fly.html
      We are going to Scotland and Ireland next year too! Riding is definitely on the agenda.

      Delete
    3. Fabulous! Thanks for the link.

      Delete
  2. At first, I thought the title was hyperbole!! I am so insanely jealous. What a cool adventure!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dom ... coming from you, the Queen of adventure, this is high billing. I am happy that I got your attention with the non-hyperbole. ;-)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Gotcha Day

Pocketful of mints, aka the slowroll

Bliss in slow motion

Ouch says the ground

Prague, dark and moody