Los Escondidos

« Thats fresh puma shit » 😳

On our last full day at the final outpost, we brought the horses to the edge of the mountain, untacked them,  tied them to some bushes and trekked down some slippery cliffs to hike to the foot of the hidden glaciers. I was careful to not grab any of the bushes on either side of the cliff when I would slip as rocks rolled under my feet … because all the bushes had 2 inch thorns. Yikes!

We hiked to a hidden valley of natural grasses punctuated by a large rock where we had a lovely rest and lunch, listening to the glaciers go ka-boom as they break off in the bright summer sun. This valley is part of a protected reserve in the Los Glaciares National Park that only allows a few visitors a day. The nearest dirt road is 20 km away. Best noone gets injured, as we have no way to call for help. There is no cell phone service, no forest ranger.

And there are pumas in those hills. 

We crossed the Rios Frias, tossing our boots and crossing the glacial river over slippery rocks. Juan warned me that it was cold, but I reminded him that Im Canadian, and I know cold. Nope, nope. It was colder than cold. On the other side, my feet had no feeling. I rubbed them back to life, and put on my boots and we continued our trek to Corazon Lagoon. At times the thorny bushes were so overgrown we had to walk with our arms in the air, pushing through the bushes with our bodies.

Pumas hide in these bushes.

The wild cattle live in the reserve, having been left behind by the Spaniards 500 years ago. The puma is their only predator, and the calves are easy targets. But the cows are tough and fight the puma with their horns. The horses are not so tough, mare leaving their foals behind as they gallop away, the pumas have an easy meal. But the cattle do perish in this region, as we saw many cadavers at the bottom of mountain passes. 

Juan whistled to our horses as we crested the mountain, lest they think we are pumas and they break their ties to the bushes and gallop the 20 km home, leaving us stranded. 😳 We had been gone 4 hours and I only realized the danger of our situation when I returned. We rode back down the mountain, arriving at our outpost in about an hour. 

And then we lightened our load, had a bathroom and water break, and got back on our magic ponies for a fast gallop along the cliffs of Lago Argentina (largest lake in Argentina) towards  Laguna 3 de abril. I took zero pictures of this fun and fast ride as I was too busy watching where we were going and the magical scenery around us. Flocks of ibis, soaring eagles, upland geese, wild hares, armadillos (they run FAST) … no pumas.

Once back, we began the preparations for empanadas. I volunteered for sous chef duties of cutting onions (very fine, with rudimentary knife), peppers, garlic, and Juan chopped up some rib eye steak, made some hard boiled eggs, and cut up some small chunks of cheese. He showed me how to roll and pinch the empanadas and we roasted them in the oven to have a yummy dinner with some Mendoza wine.

I spent the evening carving the dinner table with my name and symbol, using the natural grain as the mane of two horses chasing fugitivos (fugitives). Every group that comes through here does the same, like a guest book. Exceptionally I was alone on this trip, as my fellow guests cancelled last minute due to flight cancellations. But the time with Juan was great, as we discussed history, politics, geography, and spent many hours discussing horse training. The methods in Argentina are pretty old school, tying the horses to a post until they give up. I told Juan stories about Ray Hunt, Warwick Schiller, Mark Rashid, and the emerging ideas of softer horsemanship. He asked for links, books, recommendations. I gave him a few months of homework and told him to let me know when he wants more. 

The ride back to the ranch the next day was beautiful as all the glaciers were visible for the first time, the sun was beaming, and the horses were excited to get back. We left our stowaway with a nearby herd, as he is out here to fatten up, and crossed half a dozen pastures and a dozen mountain streams galloping in between. The four hour ride left me sunburned and covered in dust, and I was happy to jump in the shower before my final meal of roast lamb, and then shared a final mate with Juan before taking the transfer to Calafate.

It was a wonderful experience, where time slowed down and our main focus was on the simple tasks of life. Our horses were our shepherds and partners, and our entertainment was the scenery and our lively discussions of Argentina.

No doubt I will return.








































Comments

  1. This entry brought happy tears to my eyes. Your writing is incredible. What a journey!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Happy 8th Birthday Mon Amour!

Expansion of normal

Quaint Krakow

The Complexity of Trail Access

Prague, dark and moody