Big skies and deerflies

Annual Trail Rides: 129/200 (Bareback 6/12)

It is the first day of my 6 week vacation and I celebrated by having a massive 3 hour trail ride with my best buddy B in the gorgeous sector 3 of my network. While I love sector 3 for the big skies (and deer flies), we need to cross a busy road with very fast traffic (90-100 km/h) and a blind curve. I really do not like to cross busy roads alone just in case I get separated from my horse and he decides to hightail it back to the barn on his own. Horses have been killed, and have killed, in our area for this very reason.

Anyways, it was happy times, with a hint of thunderstorm in the forecast. But these days, weather forecasts are about as unpredictable as government confinement rules, so I decided to not trust the weather app and just proceed.

I started with my usual backup routine, which includes the now very unusual pre-mounting leg stretch. I don't think anyone does this anymore ... and Ive even seen research that if done incorrectly can do more damage than good. But, as for my chunky Q, this has been the best way to prevent the skin from bunching under the girth and creating a girth gall. So we stretch both legs, every time. The few times I forgot, he got a girth gall. 

I realize I look silly, and everyone at the barn remarks on my silliness ... but this is love ...




The reason sector 3 is so wonderful is the long amazing stretches of grassy slopes for plenty of trotting and cantering on great footing. Each of these grassy stretches are connected through deep, dark forests of deciduous trees that can lead to some wet boggy trails. 


But when the footing is good in the woods, its really good. And we can trot and canter for long stretches in there too.


Most of this trail network is on private land, contrary to sector 1/2 where my barn is that is mostly on public land. Big fields, usually peppered with x-country jumps, and the occasional dilapidated
barns. This would be a great spot for a rustic barn wedding.


Despite how amazing Q is, he is still annoying when he plunges for greenery and grass with the fervour of an ornery pony. He has been taking advantage of my loosey goosey on the buckle ways, and the only way to nip this in the bud is to maintain contact to do a micro correction. Then he knows Im watching him. As we emerged from the woods into this green buffet bonanza, he was an absolute pest.  


Some of the boggy spots are decades old. Its a challenge whenever I bring new riders here as they always want to venture off to the side to avoid the bog. But our resident land owner and hunt rider (80 years old) reminds us that the safest path is through the deep middle. The sides, while appearing to be dryer and shallower, are also hiding tree roots that can trap a horse leg. Rider, beware.




B was very happy to be back in this sector for the first time in 2 years. Since Covid began, his barn has had strict protocols and schedules which meant he could only ride for less than 1 hour and therefore always had to stick close to home. The schedules were released for him finally a few weeks ago, and so now we can start going on bigger adventures.


These big open stretches give us lots of freedom to take a faster pace for longer stretches without interruptions for footing, bogs, bridges, fallen trees, etc. Unfortunately B no longer enjoys long trots as he gets tired. He has mostly ridden solo this last year, so he has gotten comfortable in his own pace of many very short trots. 








So now that vacation has begun, I have a big objective to disconnect from technology and read a few books while napping in my hammock. I certainly will do lots of riding, but I will also be planning other fun non-riding activities. 

Happy summertime!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Q gets acupuncture

Come ride with me, in five sections

Gloomy November

Preparing Patagonia

Cold Sunshine