That split second decision

That split second, after your horse has spooked, dropped and spun … when you are unseated but still are able to pull up the reins (partly for balance), when the horse could continue with a bolt, buck, or more spinning … but instead, in that split second, the horse makes the good choice. Ears back on you, head up, as you rebalance on his back, waiting. And then the horse proceeds to turn back on the trail and continue almost as if nothing happened (even if said horse is feeling a little “light” in the feet).

As soon as I rebalanced myself, I let out a big YOUPPI in celebration for Qs maturity and good choices in challenging circumstances. And my ability to keep my almost 50 yr old non athletic body almost centered in the bareback pad. 

It was pissing rain today, so I chose the bareback and fluffy hackamore for a nice short quiet walk in the woods while I washed his saddle pad and girth. It was a lovely colorful walk, even if we stayed in the protection of the conifers.

It allowed for some reflection on the importance of embracing mistakes or *failures* without making too much of a big deal about them. Q spins, spooks and occasionally bolts … but I stopped reacting to them a few years ago. Instead I just give a gentle subtle cue to return to whatever we were doing. I watch for his ears instead. Once I have an ear, I stop cueing. Safety first, of course. But gone are the days were I would come to a full stop if Q spooks in a canter. Sometimes when he spooks, or bolts, he will start cross firing, and instead of coming down to a walk, I push him to go faster so he rebalances himself. I do this without emotion, and with minimal cues to avoid overwhelming or flooding.

Its been a tremendous improvement, as my sensitive flower would get more upset at my emotions then whatever had concerned him at first. I think this is why he has started cuing back to me (with his ears) much faster after a “moment”.

Once again, Q has taught me a great lesson.


I believe Anna Black wrote it best in Serenity Prayer:


Horse, grant me the serenity to breathe, the patience to give a small, quiet cue, and the wisdom to listen for the answer with gratitude.

Rider, grant me the time to understand what you ask, the confidence to try without fear, and the grateful release of giving you my trust.


… the confidence to try without fear ❤️  





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Expansion of normal

Happy 8th Birthday Mon Amour!

Quaint Krakow

Prague, dark and moody

oh! really? Thank You ❤️