Feeling strong

Milestone rides this week on back to back days. 4 hours each, walking 100%. The lack of recovery time is a real thing and Im glad Im working specifically on this. Ive now passed the hump of my insecurity and am feeling pretty confident that no amateur rider doing this trip is as prepared. They may be lighter, fitter, younger ... but I can not believe anybody has put in the time I have for 4 weeks (and 2 more weeks to go) to mentally and physically prepare themselves for the gruelling and taxing impact of very long hours in the saddle at a walk.

I am surprised at how taxing a long walk is. I have been regularly riding 4-5 times a week at WTC for 1-2 hours each ride for several years now. But just walking is something else. First of all, its incredibly boring and your mind really needs to find a different frequency. Second, the monotony of interaction with the body is tiring in the shoulder blades, lower back, hips, seatbones, and the fascia around the core.

The good news is that my recovery time is pretty incredible. No matter how bad I feel in the last hour of drudgery, by the time my feet hit the ground I feel better in seconds. Its like the pain and discomfort disappears. It usually reappears a few hours later when I get home, with some soreness (but this is improving) and overall fatigue. But a good nights sleep (which I have been acing these days!) is all I need to feel in top form in the morning. No anti-inflammatories. Just some stretching and foamrolling before bed.

So, Im feeling strong. I still have two weeks to go, but this weekend its a 3 day holiday from riding, strength training, and horse, as my SO and I go to Vermont for a romantic getaway. We haven't been in over 2 years and Im looking forward to getting out of the house and doing something different.

The inner nomad in me is pulsing for some adventure.


















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Q gets acupuncture

The Arctic Winter Riding Handbook

What the whip?

Gloomy November

Harvest season