Feisty

Annual Trail Rides: 102/200

One week off and cool temperatures make for one feisty Q! It was great though and he really made me laugh with how hard/strong his trot was and his neverending canter. Downward transitions were a struggle today. He was a bit obnoxious but the good kind. He definitely could have gone twice the speed and twice the distance today!




I however was struggling with a massive headache/migraine. So we kept our ride to one hour. And then I slinked home to lie in the dark. 

Met another rider on the trail. Her horse was jigging but not actually moving, so I asked to pass. She asked that I do it at a walk. Um, ok, I thought but you aren’t walking. So I passed at a walk (she never stopped) and it took forever. Once I was twenty feet past, I turned around and asked if it was ok for me to leave. She said yes, but only at a walk. So I shrugged, and dropped the reins and my feisty beast calmed right down and we walked. Well with all her jigging she was soon next to me and then passed me. I let her pass, and then I turned around and went the other way. Sometimes I wonder why certain people take certain horses out on trails. Things that make you go hmmmm...

Took a nice lady with her new baby horse out on trail. Her anxiety level was through the roof. She started to panic when she thought I was taking her down the path to the ravine (I wasn’t). It’s like she couldn’t hear me.

Ive been wondering about anxiety and horsemanship lately, no doubt spurred by my almost completion of Mark Rashid book #5. These books are gold, but definitely leave you thinking. The latest nugget speaks of the human need for control, and the horses nature of “going along”. We have so much to learn from our horses if we could just let go, and go along.


Comments

  1. You are more polite than I am. That jigging horse lady would have made me nuts! Sorry about the migraine. They suck! I need to learn to "let go and go along" with Booger in particular, so this post hit the nail on the head for me today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for this! I thought I was crazy for being annoyed at jiggerlady. and shrugged it off as a symptom of my migraine. But, but .... it is annoying right?!? 😂

      Delete
    2. It's incredibly poor trail etiquette on her part, yeah.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Gloomy November

Riding English or Western? Which is safer?

The complications of horses on multi-use trails

Quaint Krakow

Q gets acupuncture