Cantering and (almost) touching my toes

Annual Trail Rides: 44/200

Im happy to report that my mild hamstring sprain does not prevent me from mounting, dismounting, trotting or cantering. Im not ready to throw myself into deep snow just yet, and if my horse spins and dumps me I might be in trouble. But if I can manage the risk and be a bit conservative, I do not need to wait 3 weeks to return to activity.

While my range of motion is still a bit compromised, I gained a good six inches of flexibility bending down today and I can almost touch my toes. Walking is doing me a world of good, as well as the anti-inflammatories, rest and heating pad. When I can bend forward with palms on the ground I will be completely recovered.





It was a beautiful day for a solo ride in the woods. My horse made me giggle with his mind reading today. We were heading back at a relaxed walk and I was thinking it would be best to switch from the narrow slippy path to the wider groomed trail so that we could trot back. So I cued with some neckrein and then as soon as Qs hoof touched the wide trail he took off at a trot. It was exactly what I had been thinking but I had not cued for it yet. Clearly Im telegraphing!



Im also doing much better going down stairs, so overall this injury is healing fast! We should have mild temperatures this week with a spring thaw. The snow will melt quickly and our trail conditions might deteriorate. For now they are great, but our parking lot is an ice rink.

Fingers crossed we get in a few more rides this week.

Comments

  1. Mark Rashid talks about using his 'energy' to the horse rather than physical cues. I think it's interesting and I've started playing with it. It sounds like you have it mastered. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I need to investigate Rashid's philosophies ... we might have some things in common? Thanks for the tip!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Q gets acupuncture

Harvest season

Preparing Patagonia

What the whip?

Come ride with me, in five sections