Some good riding days

Annual Trail Rides: 8/200

I rode on trail four days in a row and my horse doesn’t know it, but we might even be doing 6 days in a row. First day was a challenge as he was a fire-breathing dragon and cantering was not safe. Second day was brilliant as we went for speed and distance yet he was still go-go-go to the end. Third day I was exhausted and he seemed a little tired so as we were cantering on the buckle down one of the long lanes I felt him ask if we should slow down. I didn’t answer, and the next stride he was trotting.

So I figured he was tired.





Went out today on a solo ride and took full advantage by cantering and trotting everywhere. It was going to be a short 45 minute ride so I wanted to get the most out of it. We cantered so much on the amazing footing that my eyes were tearing up. Finally, I was tired. So I figured we would walk the rest of the way home. Weather was a balmy 0C and despite Qs fluffy winter coat, he never broke a sweat.

Going down one of the long lanes, one hand on my thigh, the other hand on the buckle, legs off and sitting chill ... I say “hey, wanna trot?” Next second Q is bombing down the trail and shows me that he is fit as a fiddle. 

I do use lots of voice or vocal commands. Whoa is only used for special situations where I expect complete and immediate immobility. Aside from the standard walk, trot, canter, easy ... I also use a tut-tut clucking noise when I want him to slow down in the gait, or pay attention to me. I use another noise when I want him to sit down in the canter and lift his front end. And of course the every important “hey” when he is being silly or dangerous and I need his immediate attention.

I sing to him too. I sing in the tempo I want, and I need a new repertoire because I sing “Saints go marching in” way too often. It works though. My breathing slows to the tempo, he gets my rhythm (if not, I pick up my reins or squeeze my thighs) and we dance in sync down the trail.

So when Im riding alone, I ask him what he wants and more often than not, he wants speed. But he does humour me with an amazing jog that he has gotten really good at holding for long distances.

He asks me lots of questions too, with his ears, headset, tension. I try to answer best I can. And sometimes I dont, and we break to a trot.

This horse makes my heart sing.




Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What the whip?

Pumpkin Spice and the empty cup

Gloomy November

The Arctic Winter Riding Handbook

Canter Protocol