New month. New resolution

November was rough. I will close that chapter and look to December for the romantic wonder that is the arrival of winter. I will embrace patience and kindness. 

Rain was in the forecast, but I was going to meet B in the woods for a trail ride. I was still working this morning and left late, but I was able to make good time on the road. The fog was quickly setting in thick and driving was getting dangerous as I got deeper into the countryside. There is always more fog in November and I was grateful to no longer be doing this drive at night time.

B will ride in all kinds of weather. But NOT rain. Especially cold winter rain. But I figured we would be back before the rain began. I was wrong.












As I approached the barn, the fog was still very thick and I was excited to ride in the fog and maybe take some cool pictures. But none of my pictures did the fog any justice.

I went straight to Qs paddock with a bag of carrots, but herd dynamics have changed recently and the beta bully was blocking the fence. But Q took the opposite side of his alpha buddy for cover, the alpha charged the beta and Q double backed for his exit and impending carrot. Needless to say, Q is at the bottom of this pecking order although the alpha is his bestest friend. I often find him napping next to him when I show up.

Once on the crossties, I made quick work of brushing (thank you tiger tongue) the mud off, and tacking up. Almost ready to go within five minutes.

Then fellow boarder J came in from the trails with her young green horse looking a little dour and declaring that it was the worst trail of her life. Stunned, and frightened for her early stage pregnancy, I asked her if she fell. NO, she said quickly and then tossed her horse in his stall. 

The tears soon started to flow as she described the callous behaviour of her friend on trail who trotted off without warning and left her behind, while her horse started getting too strong. She dismounted and walked most of the way home (5 km) in thick mud.

Its really hard to find good trail buddies when you have a green horse. Buddy B was amazing with Q and I in our early years, and I did not hesitate to hire local trainer E to help me with my first trots and canters on trail. But its also real important to break the herd mentality for a good trail horse. Otherwise you become a victim of whatever happens around you.


When I finally caught up with B on trail it was pouring. Cold hard rain. I was drenched. But we still went out for an hour in the more narrow and covered trail. The footing was slick so we kept it mostly at a walk.

Im glad I went out but I definitely enjoyed my hot epsom salt bath at home. Not quite sure what weather is in store this week. but I do hope to get out a few more times.

Comments

  1. I don't understand why someone would just trot off. To me that is something you share and discuss. I enjoy riding the fog although C is not too sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Turns out I got an incomplete story. The rider never asked her friend to slow down or help. She didn’t want to ruin her friends ride. 😳

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Expansion of normal

Q gets acupuncture

The Complexity of Trail Access

When my legs say GO but my butt says NO

Happy 8th Birthday Mon Amour!