Me and my (squealing) shadow

This last holiday season was constrained, to say the least. In addition to COVID-related restrictions, our trails were covered in ice and we were all stuck inside for 9 days. The drama!

Everyone was "off" for 2-3 weeks in a semi-form of quarantine to slow the progression of COVID and so had way more time to come to the barn to provide "essential services" to their horses. This created a tornado of emotions in our 20x60meter arena limited to 4 riders at a time in different disciplines, from jumping to western to dressage. And of course the paddocks were iced over, horses had no turn-out for days, and everyone wanted to have exclusive access to the arena to either free lunge or turn-out their horses.

We also had new barn management in force, and despite having just signed a new contract in November, we were told a few days before the holidays that we could not ride, lunge, or turn out our horses on Christmas or New Years Eve. Being primarily a trail barn for 20+years, this came as quite the surprise and some of us old-timers were concerned that this was going to set a precedent for barn closures on every stat holiday. More drama ensued.

You can imagine our collective delight when the snow started to accumulate on New Years Day leaving us with 3-4 inches of powder. Unfortunately the powder only covered the hard ice underneath making for risky and sometimes treacherous maneuvers. Many boarders stayed in the arena, but a few of us daredevils made it out. While I don't consider myself a daredevil, I am fairly aware of where the puddles and ice patches are ... so I felt comfortable trying my luck as long as I could make it out of the parking lot.





Sure enough, I had a lovely solo ride where I met many fellow barefooters, friends, and even my trail angel that I now know by the name of Francois. He was breaking trail with his skis and stopped for a little chat. He told me about his quadruple bypass heart surgery two months ago and how happy he was to be on the trails for this 30th ski season. Wow!

Overall I was super pleased with my Q who calmly managed his footing on the buckle. We saw some beautiful sights in the thick of the woods and broke many fresh trails. He was patient as I talked to passers-by and was not a bit spooky.

Until ... on the last hill home that I have occasionally (not always, because I don't want to start a pattern) trotted or cantered up, and I knew the footing underneath would be dry and without ice, I asked for a trot.

What I got was a squeal and a gallop. By the second stride I realized he was not paying attention, and so I took control with a stern voice before we got to the top. And then I smiled.

Because our happiness is shared.

And then he spooked. Silly Q.














 



Comments

  1. Sure is beautiful out there despite the treacherous footing. I love that you have your trail angel out there. Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We should all have many trail angels! Sometimes on horseback, sometimes not.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Q gets acupuncture

The Arctic Winter Riding Handbook

What the whip?

Gloomy November

Harvest season