Mornings in the mist

Some glorious footing these last few days as we got a recent snowfall then a series of warm days. Makes for slushy footing and perfect for cantaloping. I was surprised to see some fellow boarders stick to the indoor arena, but everyone has a slightly different definition of perfect footing.

My slowly greying horse is still very black in the legs, so wet sand and mud splatter does not bother me at all. Some folks consider any footing that might dirty their horses legs to be inappropriate.






Both Q and I are always keen to go on the trails, so I restrict our outdoor riding only when it is unsafe (ice, heavy winds, hail). It is our plight as barefooters to be constantly aware of footing and I am relatively prudent when it comes to risks of soft tissue injuries. 

As barefooters though, we are fairly well equipped most of the year. Q has plenty of natural grip in mud, slush and those in betweens. But when the arctic freeze hits the wet tracks, we slump our shoulders and head to the indoor arena. Eeyore.

We should be happy to have an indoor. But I have not gone to our arena in 6 months and I am not looking forward to the days where I will be stuck inside. Eeyore.

Warm days, sunshine and slushy trails? yes, please! Took some video and pics along the way to share some of our winter pleasures.




Comments

  1. Carmen knows all about dirty legs. I think that the footing sounds perfect

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the footing made squishy noises like wet sneakers!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Q gets acupuncture

Come ride with me, in five sections

Gloomy November

Preparing Patagonia

Canter Protocol