It was really great. And then it wasn't. But in the end, it was still really great.

Im so proud of Q and I today! It was the culmination of many trails and arena sessions this summer working on our canter. I did declare back in June that this would be the Summer of Canter (Whoa Whoa Dragon), and today proved that we achieved that goal.





The day started out with the alarm radio going off at 7 am, and the radio host announcing what marvellous weather we would have today. Almost summer weather with blue skies and temperatures near 20C. It was quite breezy, and warmer in the sun than the shade but it was definitely marvellous! I cleared my calendar, texted B to see if he was up for a trail, and promptly headed out for the one hour commute to the barn.

I was feeling a little cranky when I got to the barn, but mostly because I didnt want my plans highjacked. I kept to myself, avoided the coffee clatch, tacked up quickly and headed out for my rendezvous with B. It takes about 10 minutes of trotting and loping to get to our meeting spot and by then I was in a great mood. Q had me giggling as he smoothly transitioned to a lope on the buckle and then smoothly transitioned to a walk as soon as I asked. It is wonderful when the transitions are prompt AND smooth!

We ended up loping and switching leads most of the way to our meeting spot and then I spotted B and his fellow boarder L walking towards me. I kept on loping until I got to 50 feet from them and then stopped. B and I parted and L continued onwards alone although it was pretty clear she would much rather tag along with us. But we took a detour down another windy trail to practice simple lead changes.

At one point while we were cantering down a familiar stretch and I was in the lead, I shouted out “watch this” dropped my reins on the saddle horn and threw my arms up in the air as I giggled for several strides. We kept up the fast and furious pace through a few more stretches and ravines and then I exposed my “master plan” to B.

We were going to string along four canter trails together to make a crazy long serpentine canter path with a couple of lead changes thrown into the mix. This would be our longest canter stretch ever and would really test our endurance. B asked when we would quit and I said whenever one of us calls mercy. He smirked and said he would lead. So off we went.

These pictures taken in different seasons show some of the sections of the serpentine we did. Mostly flat sand covered wide trails.








By the ten minute mark my left hip was screaming, my core was burning and I was looking forward to the “finish line” 200 yards ahead. Then B turned to me, smirked, and said “follow me”. Oh boy, I better change leads I thought.

It was all great fun, like two fearless kids with their crazy ponies tearing up the trail. The horses were keeping a beautiful cadence together. Effortless.

And then all of a sudden, a hundred yards ahead a black horse gallops across the wide trail riderless, turns down the trail away from us and runs away. I hear B shout “thats Ls horse”. Shit. We break to a trot, start shouting Ls name and head down the trail her horse came barreling out of.

The horse exited the woods from the left to the right across this trail, then turned down towards the ravine in the upper left.


It turned out she was much further up the trail, trying to stand up. Patrollers had found her on the ground while her horse was doing his own galloping tear through the woods. Her horse freaked out because he wanted to follow other riders she passed, he then dumped her and took off. The ambulance took her to the hospital as she couldnt walk and it seems like she has a fracture in the lumbar spine. Google says that these types of fractures happen in gunshot victims or high impact falls from a height. oh boy!

Patrollers were on alert for the runaway horse before he crossed the high speed road, and he was later found and brought to the barn. Aside from the fractured spine, it seems that most everyone came out of this ok.

We boogied home so B could get his car and help out if needed. Our horses were trucking along at a good clip side by side, unworried and unfrazzled. But forward. Definitely forward.

When we parted for our respective barns, I opened my video and took this little clip of the trail home with the colors and the leaves. And if you see Q's ears, you will also see his jumping into an unrequested canter and hear my little giggle before I slow him down. Because even if there was lots of excitement and fast work, this horse was definitely not tired.

I need a few days off, with the heating pad and advil for my back and core to recuperate. But you can bet I will do that crazy canter serpentine again. Maybe Ill try and catch some video next time.

Comments

  1. Oh no. Poor L. I hope she doesn't have a long recovery. That must have been very frightening.
    Otherwise it sounds like a blast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was, and am not too tired today. But its raining ...

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Quaint Krakow

Stepping out in Hungary

Riding English or Western? Which is safer?

Canter Protocol

Ouch says the ground