The guilt is real

A few days ago the government allowed for horse owners to have limited, scheduled, controlled access to their horses for the first time in six weeks. Heavy biosecurity protocol was enforced and everyone was asked to stay 50 feet away from each other.

I showed up at my barn to find a chubby, happy and freshly shampooed Q who was excited to see what treats I brought for him. My barn owner greeted me with a smile and a bucket of suds and sponge to wipe down anything I touched. 

I had a nice handwalk in the woods on my first day, and then on the second day a quick ride to find my buddy winded after a few minutes (that has never happened) despite his being lunged at least twice a week while I was gone. And we did a short stroll in the woods. Q had a nice spring in his step for his first trips off the property.

It was awesome.





But I felt so guilty at being happy. Other horse owners showed up to find horses that had lost 150 pounds because the BO stopped feeding grain. And some horse owners still do not have access because their BOs are scared. At least now that the transport restriction is lifted, they can move their horses out.

Everyone is adamant that we stick to essential care, which includes exercise but not leisure. And it feels like we are always being watched. Someone took pictures of our parking lot this weekend as the first boarders got access. There is a strong level of suspicion and fear everywhere as we start reopening businesses and schools.

I dont know how long this will last.

Comments

  1. Feeling guilty because others have it worse is not productive unless you can figure out how to make their situation better. There is a lot of fear which leads to anger. I'm happy that you got to see your pony.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What the whip?

Gloomy November

The Arctic Winter Riding Handbook

Trust, a two-way street

Preparing Patagonia