Six years later

It is possible to achieve an impossible goal, if you lose all sense of time.

Six and a half years ago, Q entered my life as an untrained 2 going on 3 year old stud colt. We had a lot of groundwork to do, and unfortunately I was pushy about my objectives. I rushed many steps, ignoring Qs signs of no, or discomfort, until he put his foot down and broke something.

With a grey horse, I needed to tackle washing his face. He wanted nothing to do with it, so I made it an issue every single time we went in the washstall during the summer of 2016. He never broke his tie, but he came close. And then he refused to go back in the washstall.

I spent three months trying to get him back in. Lunge whips, backing up, helpers pushing behind … nope. He wanted nothing to do with that washstall.

I spent the winter using the washstall as a grooming stall. No water, just lots of curry combing and snacks. 6 months later he was trotting to the washstall on his own.

Then I pulled out the water, and his concern grew again. I kept it lowkey, just on his body for the whole summer of 2017. I could not wash his upper neck. He was worried every time the water crept towards his ears. Same for 2018. And 2019.

By the time 2019 was summer, we could wash his whole neck but not go near the ears or halter.



Then in 2020, I would untie him after each bath and just let him play with the water with his mouth. He would suck and spit it back at me, causing me to giggle. We ended every body wash with these few minutes of play.



Then in 2021, I could wash behind his sweaty ears but not his face. For this, he would stand tied.

Now, in 2022, he lets me wash his face, nose, behind the ears. Tied, and super relaxed.

He finally trusted me once he knew I was paying attention to him, and was ready to forego my objectives if I noticed him in any discomfort.

This horse has been my greatest teacher. And now we can finally start cleaning that dirty grey face.

😁

Listening to the Warwick podcast with Christine Dickson today, I am reminded of what she said that we fall so we can experience the joy of rising up.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Gloomy November

Riding English or Western? Which is safer?

The complications of horses on multi-use trails

Pocketful of mints, aka the slowroll

Quaint Krakow