The day my horse said no

It is the yo-yo weather of December but I was determined to get to the barn, ride alone, and canter to my hearts content. Lately Ive noticed that my solo rides are better and my connection with Q stronger. Riding with others does make me go more often, longer. faster, further ... but I sacrifice the connection and end up riding with much stronger rein contact especially at the canter. So, I was on a solo mission.

I almost slipped as a few boarders asked me to tag along on their ride. But I explained I had made a promise to my husband that I was riding alone today or else it was a fail. I am one of the few members in our 1000+ member club that knows every single trail in our 200 kilometre network. I also know the footing, seasonal conditions and tripping hazards of most every trail. I know where the canter tracks are, where we can trot, and where the road crossings and water spots are. And I know which trails will avoid mosquitos, deerflies, and which ones will be filled with blackberries. Its the result of 30+ years of dedicated riding and driving sleighs in the same network.

But I love my Q and I am loving my canter on the buckle phase. And I can only do that when Im alone.

Mother Nature had other plans. The weather overnight dipped below freezing and even our softest sandiest trails were uneven and rock hard like bad concrete. So when I got to one of our favorite canter stretches with the best footing at this time of year, I clucked, Q loped. And 10 strides later he stopped.

Good idea Q! This footing is awful.






We kept the rest of the ride slow and cut the whole venture short. But that didnt stop Q from begging for more treats and cookies for a job well done.



Comments

  1. I was expecting a different story. Q is very smart. :) but you already know that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As long as he uses his smarts for good 🤣

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Q gets acupuncture

Happy 8th Birthday Mon Amour!

Pocketful of mints, aka the slowroll

Expansion of normal

Ouch says the ground