A stunning day in Sector 3

The sun was out, we had the afternoon free with healthy energetic horses and so I took my two new trail buddies (happy C the intern, and new boarder and stall neighbour MJ) out for an adventure. With my steady Q leading the whole way through canters across fields and long trots up forest paths, into deep and thick bogs climbing over fallen trees, and on country roads blocking oncoming traffic to protect my new buddies, we had a blast. I was particularly proud of Q as he gave me good warning of a few things that scared him, and with a little heat of my calf he just carried on without a spook.

After 2.5 hours in the saddle, we were all beat and thirsty. While downing a litre of water with a face mask on, I gave Q a good long shower, let him roll in some thick sand for a good body massage, stuffed him with bananas and carrots, and then got ready to leave. But I couldn’t find my keys. Uh-oh. I backtracked, emptied my tack locker, looked to see if they fell out of my pocket at the mounting block.

And then I started to panic. What if they fell out of my pocket on trail? I never take my keys on trail with me! But I might have been distracted with the excitement... and then I found them. In the bathroom.

It was a lovely day. And now Im still a little sore and heading to the barn for something a little easier.










Comments

  1. What a great day. Minus the losing of keys. I know that moment of panic very well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Losing my keys hasn't happened to me in a long time. The thought of going back on trail to find them was terrifying.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Q gets acupuncture

Harvest season

Preparing Patagonia

What the whip?

Come ride with me, in five sections