Breakthrough

The funniest thing has happened these last few weeks. I have been reluctant to canter. At first it was the footing (ice), then it was Qs bounciness (spring sillies), then it was the footing (mud), then it was my goal to focus on long distance walking to build my endurance for long rides without taxing my horse.

I finally cracked the barrier this week, but not without some serious eye rolling from Q. As we regained our broader trail network (cross country ski trails revert to all purpose trails on April 15th), Q would bounce to attention every time we would start a section we almost always canter.  I would hold him back and he would toss his head at me. Its like he was saying “omg, woman, stop worrying, Ill take care of you”. 

Staying in context, I was loping long stretches on the buckle 5 weeks ago. What happened?

I commiserated with a fellow boarder yesterday (similar age, similar riding pace/style) and she said we have gotten wiser. Our horses are very energetic these days and our brakes are soft. Seems like we need a tune up?

Granted Qs reactions these days are sharp. Spooks at the leaves, wind, chasing dogs, falling trees, fleeing deer, and sometimes just spooks at nothing. Im not crazy about sitting on that type of reactivity at a canter.

So we trot until he relaxes, which is taking longer than usual. And we walk. Lots of walking.

Now that the winter term is over, I have more availability and rode 5 days in a row! It absolutely made a difference and we were able to tackle the canter. Phew. But it got me thinking …

Of all my Qs quirks, there is one thing that rings true. Q is tuned in. This can be wonderful as it affords me  training shortcuts and bolsters his confidence which in turn bolsters my confidence. When taken in the right direction, we create a reinforcing positive spiral. I ride him like the “steady eddie” I know he can be, and he gives me wings with the flick of an ear. Its truly glorious. 

Lately, however, be it the spring sillies or my core tightening at the hint of a potential issue (or bolt), Q has taken on the attitude of “we must save the princess!”. He is feeling my every move in the saddle, and as soon as I tighten so does he, ready to carry me swiftly to safety.

When this is happening regularly at the walk, it doesn’t inspire a lot of confidence to carry on at the canter. Granted we didn’t ride for 3 weeks. Granted footing wasn’t always cooperative for long trots to blow off steam. Granted turnout was limited, and lunging wasnt always possible. But it feels like a setback all the same.

Now that we are getting back on track, Im no longer worried. But it does serve as a good reminder how tenuous confidence can be, for both horse and rider. And it does remind me how much Qs confidence is rooted in my own. Im getting better (still a work in progress though) at paying attention to his concerns without letting his concern dominate my attention. Ive stopped staring at the object of his concern but just give it a quick glance and then return my attention to the horizon. Sometimes Ill add some leg or rein to get his attention back to the horizon. Its shaved his distraction time to milliseconds and often doesnt impact his metronome pace. But I do think he appreciates me acknowledging his concern, and is more accepting of my request to ignore and carry on.

Even his bolts (the one from the falling tree came fast and hard) have declined in duration. And the spins are few and far between. We came across his nemesis of an obstacle this weekend. It was an incredibly windy day with heavy gusts (80km/h) tossing trees to the ground. We were riding 🤷‍♀️ and came across a trail sandwiched between a narrow stretch of blowing plastic tape (to block access to the perpendicular road) on both sides. Q has a strong aversion to plastic and tarps … and blowing in the wind close to him? Fuggetaboutit. He saw, stopped (while I took a pic), gave a half hearted spin, and then proceeded without panic (but definitely concern) to cross. This is trust.



Ive come to appreciate how our personalities have blended together. He loves food, is independent, curious and proud, chill yet anxious, and is very bossy. When Im confident, I can help him bridge his anxiety. And he does the same for me. Even as a young stud, he was quick to approach a scary or unfamiliar object, but quicker to bolt and run away. He will not hesitate to fight for his safety, or save the princess. But he isn’t looking for a fight.

The Benevolent King.

He has a strong aversion to other horses cracking into his 3 foot bubble on trail. He will pin his ears, snake his neck, throw his bum at them if they dare try to pass. He has even bitten a young stud that he deemed unruly and impetuous. My fellow riders are always aghast at his unfriendly behaviour. I just quietly say to him “you so bossy” with a giggle and a smile. I don’t like them so close either, and I warn them … 🤷‍♀️ 

Q is helping me prepare for my big packtrip in 6 weeks. Ive been working on mounting from the ground as he stands as stoic as a rock while I scramble on board. Ive been working on riding in inclement weather (wind, rain, hail) with my new oilskin which is absolutely glorious!!! And Ive been working on slow long mileage.

Yesterday was my big triumph. Longest ride in a decade or more. And a big step up from my 90 minute ride 2 weeks ago that left me crippled for 2 days, packing alleve and foamrolling every day. It was a shocker that a walking trail would have such an impact on the fasciae around my core but I guess it makes sense when you consider the repetitive movement that is long walking.









I set out with an objective to break the 3 hour walking milestone, and I was successful. I got off to stretch my legs at the 2 hour mark and share an apple with Q, and I did notice a rub forming on my inside thigh at 2.5 hours, but I was giddy when I got back to the barn 3 hours and five minutes later. 

I was tired last night and hungrier than usual, but I didn’t need the alleve, and only felt a little stiff the next morning. Today is a break day, as both Q and I recover while we watch the snow fall and cover the ground. April weather is so weird.

Yesterday was glorious, and I am looking forward to tackling my first back-to-back 3 hour rides next week and then steadily increasing the duration by 30 minutes every week before my departure. If we can get to 5 hour back-to-back rides before I leave, I will be confident in my abilities to follow the pack and recover quickly for the days to come. The worst days will be the back-to-back 8 hour days through the prairies.

But the scenery should be glorious!


Comments

  1. Some great progress. You are right about how fragile confidence can be. Are you able to bring a sheepskin pad for the saddle on your trip? I'm thinking I would want one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thats a good idea! Not sure what saddle I will have (each horse has their unique saddle for fit), but will look into it!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Canter Protocol

Carb Coma

What a trip!

Stepping out in Hungary

4 weeks later