The emotional anchor

Well I had some good rides lately. The last two I amped up the speed a bit (although my horse had definite opinions of what a slowpoke party pooper I was) and just let Q trot his little heart out without much intervention from me. I find that 10 minutes seems to do the trick, on a loose dropped rein. He starts out all tense and tight like a sewing machine, and then at the 10 minute mark he starts to drop his head, relax his back, swing into his gaits and then he starts to blow through his nose.

Im still enjoying the Warwick Schiller podcasts and one of the recent ones with Ben Atkinson spoke of the importance of being your horse's emotional anchor. It echoed with how Ive been riding Q lately, where I let him look at whatever is bothering him but I just stay steadfast focused on the path/pace ahead and our goal. And this week, with his heightened sensitivity, energy and concern, it really became quite apparent.

We are trotting down the path. Q throws his head up and looks with concern to something (nothing?) 5 feet away. I see his concern but return my focus immediately to the path 50 feet away with a soft eye (thanks myopia) and only add outside leg if he bends out. He checks with me with one ear and an eye. And when he sees I don't react, he drops down, and blows out. We did this about 20-30 times every ride this week.

In our maelstrom of rides last year, I also remembered a few times where he bolted. I caught the bolt in the first stride and then immediately Q flicked his ear back to me. All was not lost, and that bolt died by the third stride.

All I ask is for an ear. And I can be your emotional anchor.





Comments

  1. That ear is so critical. I’ve been working on this too. It really helps.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Q gets acupuncture

Gloomy November

Riding English or Western? Which is safer?

Canter Protocol

The complications of horses on multi-use trails