Rashid is Messing with my Mind

Annual Trail Rides: 52/200

Well that was interesting! We are in the shoulder season of winter/spring, where trail conditions change by the day and hour. I have managed to sneak in a few extra rides this week despite the general icy conditions in the forest.

I also finished Considering the Horse, and Im anxious to start my next Rashid book.

After my last challenging ride on Q, where he released the dragon on the way home, I thought about my own reactions. Rashid, in pure zen/martial artist fashion, is a big believer in not letting your context (or your horse) drive your actions.

Unfortunately, when pressed between a saddle and a tree, I became a bit too sharp and anxious in my reactions ... or the Rashid equivalent of micro-management and emotional reactivity.

So the following day, I tried again, but just SLOWED IT DOWN. Everything soft. Everything slow.

And lo and behold, so was my horse! He was literally an old cow pony. Soft, thoughtful, slow ... wise.

Things that make you go hmmm.




So I tried again, on the following day. And lo and behold, same thing. And this despite the fact that Q was high as a kite when I arrived at the barn, and the BO suggested I let him run around the arena a few minutes before. Which I did, and he proceeded to buck and kick the wall more than two dozen times in less than 5 minutes. The run-around was short, and followed by a quick hay snack and water.

But once I was in the saddle. Soft and slow.

Maybe I am too quick and reactive after all?

I also like Rashid principle that patience must be practiced with horses and humans. In fact, he goes so far to say that if you aren't patient with humans, then you probably aren't real patient with horses either. Its a state of mind, regardless of context or species.

So, when things blew up at the barn, and my first reaction was to defend the innocent and pull out a war against the bullies ... I slowed down. I thought about it. And I realized that the context did not need to rule my actions or emotional state.

Easier said than done, of course. But food for thought.


Comments

  1. It's amazing how well it works. But it can be so hard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even just connecting with yourself is so hard.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Canter Protocol

Carb Coma

What a trip!

Stepping out in Hungary

4 weeks later