Humble Pie

I fell at a walk. My horse took off as I was screaming obscenities at the nearby dogwalker that let her dog chase us through the bush. Unleashed of course. My horse didn’t get very far as he stood twenty feet away from me, watching me with both eyes.

The seconds before the fall are very blurry. I remember seeing the dog walker at a distance, but didn’t think anything of it. Then I heard the dog tearing through the bush to get us, the horse we were following bolted off, and I was not paying attention as I was putting on my gloves. My horse spun 180 degrees and literally left me hanging into a dead pine tree. I hit the ground fast but not so fast that I didnt shout six or seven swear words before my back hit the branches on the ground.

I think my horse was spooked at his buddy bolting off, and all my screaming and swearing. I was so angry.

But I do learn an important lesson every time I fall. Lately my lessons have been about my lack of awareness and my taking my horse for granted. On this day my horse was wired from the cross ties (would not let me bridle him) to the parking lot (would not stand still). 

I got back on and carried on with our trail. Poor Q was amped as I still had lots of adrenaline pumping through my veins. But my trusty barn buddy M chatted with me until I calmed down, and then instantly my horse calmed down too. A trainer once told us that horses feel our heartbeats. Yes, I agree.


It took me two quiet trails after to start feeling normal again. I cantered for the first time today, and Q was great. But it is an important reminder that confidence is easily shattered by even a single stupid and somewhat benign incident. I was fine, horse was fine. I took some alleve for a few days and spent a lot of time on the heating pad. But nothing was broken, fractured, sprained or cracked.

And my horse did not run all the way home crossing a dangerous road. 

So, humble pie success? Not my favorite kind of pie.



The next time out, I let Q gallop in the paddock before we went on trail. He had a good tear. And then I had a nice quiet trail.


Comments

  1. Wow he can really motor!! That accident sounds like one of those perfect compilation: you putting on your gloves, random dog in the brush, buddy taking off. Anyone of those things not present and you would have been fine. True story: when I drop the reins to do something I always tell Carmen (eg "I'm getting out my phone, please stand still for a sec"). I swear that she listens. How did the dog walker respond? I hope she (he?) was sorry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Teresa! Yes, the dog walker was apologetic but will that change anything? Sometimes I wonder if people should be licensed to have dogs, much like we have a driving license. City dog tags are not enough.

      Delete
  2. Ugh, I have a whole draft post about how our local trails have turned into dog-off-lead 'paradise' (for them, not me) It's such a hazard and sadly I feel like the dog owners are genuinely surprised every time their dog attempts to chase horses. My one mare is good now about facing them down and intimidating them, the other still gets scared and needs a little more confidence. I glad everything is OK and you're feeling good again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks T. My horse is more like Bridget and will chase down any dog that I target. Which is why I was so unaware of what was happening, until it happened. Accidents happen sooo fast.

      Delete
  3. Glad you're okay!! It's unnerving how sometimes something so 'simple' can really shake your confidence. Great job for picking up and carrying on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think every horsebackrider needs a heating pad, gel pads in the freezer, epsom salts, and a full bottle of anti-inflammatories. 😁

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Q gets acupuncture

Harvest season

Preparing Patagonia

What the whip?

Come ride with me, in five sections