40 degrees of yuck

Gathering from the blogland, this oppressive heat is becoming an issue all over the world. Except Chile. There they have snow!

We have had several days in a row this last week where the heat has been sizzling with a humidex near 40C. In the barn we all wear masks now, even the crew that cleans 40+ stalls a day and manages turnouts. No air conditioning for them. It is atrocious.

As a result I have been spending minimum time in the barn because of the mask requirement and oppressive heat. This week I had to clean my tack locker of mice debris (they got into my apple snax and littered crumbs all over) and the hour of scrubbing and shifting things around left me panting.

I did get in a few quiet rides with M this week where she has started cantering, but we mostly walked. The woods, even in this heat wave, are a cool and soothing place. Now if only my horse could magically tack himself.




And the blackberries are getting mature, so we have started picking them from horseback. I had the bright idea yesterday to get some containers and do some serious blackberry picking, but that was an epic fail. After 30 minutes under the hot midday sun, we all fried and then dragged our way back home clutching our now empty water bottles. Indoor activities are much preferred, especially with air conditioning.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Q gets acupuncture

Harvest season

Preparing Patagonia

What the whip?

Come ride with me, in five sections