whoa whoa pony, otherwise known as "Do I really want to change?"

Yesterday was day four in a row of trail riding. Usually at this point my pony starts to whither. Everything becomes relaxed and easy, and we enjoy much time on the buckle. We spend our time practicing with leg aids and neck rein and a good time is had by all.

We have also had four days of epic footing. The best footing of the entire year. (no rocks, no roots, no mud, no bugs) Trails are well padded and the track is fast. My Q that I thought was so lethargic 10 days ago has shown me that he is all go-go-go!




But I still figured that by Day 4 of constant riding, he would start to slow down.

I was wrong.

Yesterday he was all funny faces and ears at his buddy Shadow when we trotted side by side, and he definitely wanted to blow past him several times. On one canter stretch where Shadow was leading and Q was accelerating up the hill, Shadow spooked at some branch and my buddy B stopped him. Well Q was having none of that, and literally went to pass him ... until I stopped him. He did not understand why. It was like he was calling us all out for being a bunch of sissies.

Q definitely has more go than I do. Im pretty happy with a few trot and canter stretches and a few trail rides a week of 1-2 hours each. Im also happy when I get to explore different trail sections and not get stuck in a rut.

I have stopped (for now? Im always worried about jinxing things when I say this) being afraid of his GO attitude. He doesn't buck, rarely spooks, and almost never spins and bolts (a tough move to sit). He telegraphs his moves seconds before and I have been able to curb him back to me when he gets really scared. Worst case, I jump off, and walk him through the torture chamber. Or my buddy B and his horse Shadow lead us the safety.

On our way out to meet B and Shadow on trail yesterday we had to pass by a funny object (a little blue empty sleigh behind a snowmobile) in the parking lot. I was still fussing with my gloves and pockets so I paid no attention to Q when he did an abrupt halt. But my lack of attentiveness to the scary thing meant that he got more amped because he felt the need to "SAVE US BOTH". Once I realized what was going on, I picked up the reins and put on the legs and he bolted us through the danger. He stopped 5 strides later although he was still a bit unnerved for the next 10 minutes.

But that seems to be the extent of it. Cool. Ill take that.

I am the most amateur of amateur riders, and my hobby is hanging out with my horse and trail riding alone or with friends a few times a week. I don't spend much, if any, time in the arena and I haven't practiced a shoulder-in or haunches-in in months. Granted, the weather and footing have been forgiving. But my motivation to do more is not there.

A former boarder intercepted me this week and asked if I was still competing. I looked at her with a straight face and said "the thought of it makes me want to vomit". Circles, patterns, transitions, obstacle training, hot sun, stuffy arena. Yuck. Money spent on transport, stalls, entry fees, membership fees. Days spent double-shampooing horse and cleaning tack. Long days sitting in the saddle waiting for your class and hoping your horse doesn't freak out in the arena, or at the judge, or at the kids running in the stands, or at the baby carriages.

Right now, things are pretty darn perfect. I have a lovely horse that is happy to leave his buddies at the barn to go on trail, who trots and canters like a dream, who gives me confidence to tackle challenging trails and circumstances, and who I have the loveliest conversation with his delicate facial contorsions and radar ears.

This is the horse that feels like a general marching to the front lines, on a mission. No time for shenanigans, we GOTTA GO! He is bossy, independent, and enthusiastic. I guess, he is just like me.

So, Ive been toying with the idea to try something different. Something that his breeding would not prepare him for. He is short-coupled like a QH and would not make for a good endurance mount. But maybe something like competitive trail?

For sure I do not want to spoil what I already have, and I don't want to change my own patterns or behaviour. But maybe there is a way to venture out and do something different.

Our local club is planning for an introductory training for endurance this summer and I think I might join in. Just to see how far off the mark we might be. And to see how I might be able to tackle my own physical limitations of not being able to sit in the saddle for more than 2 hours.

So I can say GOGO PONY ... but I don't want to change.


Comments

  1. I think competitive trail would be perfect for you both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If only there were events in my area ... this might be harder than I thought.

      Delete
  2. I'm sure your friends have already mentioned that any healthy horse can do endurance at the lower levels. I've only known a few instances of horses who, despite being healthy, don't seem to like it. Inherently energy-saving models: ) Endurance speaks to the nature of the horse - travelling over land with friends at a reasonable pace (not full-out-flight). It is the most natural of all the equine disciplines, in my opinion. Let's move together across this mountain and eat an enormous buffet of food every 15-20 miles. It is the ultimate fun (if you don't have CMO in your area.)

    CTR would have been lovely, and it was for a short time. I should make my blog Google-searchable so you can read about my personal fiasco with CTR.

    You seem to have a horse who can do many things, how exciting, and you have a community to help you choose which.

    Have you slept with your horse under the stars? You'll see him dream, next to your campfire.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Q gets acupuncture

The Arctic Winter Riding Handbook

What the whip?

Gloomy November

Harvest season