I wish I came here more often. It has so many beautiful sections. It is plagued by some boggy trails with mosquitoes and we have to cross a busy road to get here. But once here, Im always happy!
We found some wooden trails with occasional muddy spots to go trotting in. I took this video with my trail buddy J and her big percheron mare.
Buffet! I struggled to keep Q on the path and focused.
Much galloping happens on this path!
This section has a few streets that we have to cross. But there is practically no cars here.
Q enjoying the view!
The hunt field is one of my favorite spots. And the sun was out in full force with a cooling breeze.
It was a gorgeous day, and the sights were beautiful. With the tardy summer, the trails were a bit muddier than usual. My friend with her big percheron mare struggles with her soundness, and did not like the muddy trails one bit. She would have much rather stayed on the tried and true section 2.
But I am glad I went, and I am looking forward to going back. Perhaps solo. Q is getting to be quite solid going solo and I think we can do this.
We arrived in Krakow on a super short commuter flight from Budapest and spent most of the weekend wandering about the charming town, constantly watching out for rogue trams that want to run us over. Our first afternoon was a delightful stop in the large market square to sit on a terrace, drink local beer, eat a lovely plate of cured sausages and meats with a kickass fresh horseradish purée, and watch the parade go by on National Constitution Day. Somehow, we often arrive in a new city on their national holiday. Krakow town square and basilica In the town square, m any fine carriages and horses are in line, with beautiful women in black hats with white ribbons driving the carriages. Its so unusual to see only women driving so many large carriages, that I took notice. At first, I thought it was because of the parade. Later that day, I watch the carriages circulating with passengers and the pretty lady is up front doing nothing while an old peasant dressed man is driving the carri...
After four days of despooking clinic and some reflection time, I want to share my broader perspective on what despooking can teach us. Only humans dwell - sometimes you just need to go with the flow. Horses have wonderful lessons to teach us in this regard. Their desire to be one with the herd, to establish hierarchy and rules, and to be in the present moment forces us to reconsider our thoughts and actions. Being such generous and forgiving souls, horses begin every moment as a new one. They dont dwell on past issues, they dont cry over lost relationships, they dont get angry over spilled milk. They lock in to their surroundings, feel their environment, find the path that leads to safety and grass. They are fluid. Let us learn to connect with the “herd”. Dont focus on the obstacle, focus on what you are doing. Obstacles are everywhere, physical and psychological. Some are created in our minds (“Im not good enough, Im not worthy, I cant do that”) and we fixate on them. We give ou...
Annual Trail Rides: 186/200 (Bareback 25/40) Weather has turned brisk, rain has set in for multiple days, work is very busy so riding has dropped in frequency. All this has transformed Q into a fire breathing dragon. (it could also be the Bemer sessions working too well) So much that I was screaming to myself two days ago “THIS is NOT fun. THIS is NOT fun.” after shutting down Qs bolt-in-progress on the trail. The ride before the storms This morning I was feeling better and up for the task of channeling Qs abundance of energy. I put on his bareback pad, got on .. and then ... oops ... immediately got off. I was sitting on a live grenade! I took off his bridle, and let him loose in the big paddock. He leaped, bucked, spun, galloped and then did it all over again. I then put on his saddle (seriously this was not the day for bareback even if the trails were sloppy wet) and headed out thinking that his energy would be more normal now. It was NOT NORMAL. He was high as a kite as we hea...
Annual Trail Rides: 122/200 (Bareback 5/12) Bareback jiggerlady (finally sporting a helmet) came galloping up the side path of the ravine as I was climbing out of the ravine. Her horse spooked at me, my horse was startled and all I could hear was raucous laughter. When we arrived on the same trail she was two strides behind me so I suggested she pass me. She was flustered and unsure, saying her horse was competitive, as her pinto mare was jigging and jogging head up in the air. But she eventually passed me, and then took off at a trot, never a care or a worry about whether my horse would mind her sudden departure. Which he didn’t, but thanks for asking. 😁 Once she was 200 meters down the trail I just couldn’t help myself, and so I released the Q. Within seconds we were breathing down her ass. She made an abrupt turn on a side trail and disappeared. And I did a little giggle. My husband chastised me for my risky behaviour, saying I would have been at fault had an accident occurre...
I do lots of different kinds of rides, with lots of different kinds of riders. But cantering always has me stumped. I have an established checklist of rules, but not everybody shares my view on this. Here is the short version I do not ride on trail with anybody who is not comfortable cantering their horse (at least in an arena). I don't want their first canter experience to be the spook and bolt when their horse sees a deer. I will occasionally make an exception to this rule for very short and controlled trail rides within proximity to the barn. I do not race. The order we start in, must be maintained until the end. No passing. With some of my trail buddies we will canter side by side, and it is glorious! I do not gallop. I have made a few exceptions to this rule with individuals that I trust, and on a trail I know well. The gallop stretch never lasts very long. I do not canter up ravines or anywhere I do not have a long line of sight. Again, I sometimes make exceptions to this on ...
Comments
Post a Comment