What a ride!

It was not the plan. I was supposed to go on a trail alone to get to section 1 and capture some media of our long sandy galloping tracks through the forest. It was a beautiful day with warm sunny weather and a gentle breeze. The bugs were out, but with my ultrashield fly spray and bonnet, Q and I were well covered.

Our fearless leader asked if I wanted to tag along on a small group ride in the afternoon. A group of ladies I knew well and had great respect for their riding abilities. A group I could have fun with, go fast, and not have a single worry. I thanked her but declined, saying I was planning on a longer trail further out.

As it was my first day of vacation, I was slow to get ready and just enjoying the slow roll. I took my time grooming Q, while he parked himself in the aisle "naked". Can you believe he is actually better behaved without restraints? Otherwise, he can get fidgety and paw.


Finally I decided to join the group, postponing my solo adventure to another day and joining what should be a stress free easy-peasy ride with some good conversation.

Our fearless leader pulled out her experienced QH/draft mare that Ive never been able to match at a canter on trail because her stride is so strong. Part of my zoom zoom zoom plan is to get more comfortable with a faster paced canter on trail. Today might be a good test.

We tacked up, and set off, Q quickly marching out in the lead. We promptly started to medium trot on the wide windy trail towards the first ravine. I was keeping my eye on S and her western pleasure paint behind me as she usually leads and at a much slower pace, knowing her horse gets strong and bucks when the pace gets faster making her uncomfortable. Everyone seemed ok, even the aging reining QH.
The trails are double wide, and have trees in the middle. Great for buggies.

After the first ravine, I suggested another trot and everyone joined me in a stronger faster pace, the pleasure paint trying to pass on the double trail that spanned almost twenty feet wide between the pine trees.

After the second ravine, I timidly suggested a canter and planned on doing something as close to a lope as possible. There was no need to worry as the pleasure paint was doing ok and hanging on my heels.

And then we were in the zone. The perfect slightly uphill sandy but firm trail that snakes through the forest for a good 2 km making a loop back towards the ravine. I suggest a trot to start, then canter and back to trot. Q must have heard me, because he jumped into a power trot and they were all cantering behind me to catch up. I slowed down to a jog to let them catch up, then jumped into a lovely rocking horse canter. Faster and more impulsion than a lope, but a very controlled cadence. The pleasure paint was getting amped up. The QH/draft was definitely cantering. And the aging reining horse was lost so far behind that we had to stop to let him catch up.

"um, can we walk?" Oh, ok. Aging reiner caught up, and I asked our fearless leader if that was fast enough for her to canter. She thought it was a bit too fast, and that her mare was out of shape. Really? Wow, Im so proud that I cantered fast enough. She had a good chuckle. She is such a good sport.

So I suggested we trot in the meandering path back, and they all suggested a slow controlled trot. I said, let's practice our jog. And so we did. And the pace was so easy that we had a good laugh at some office antics of people misusing their cell phones during team meetings.
Shall we trot? Oh yeah ...

A third ravine, and Q was feeling fine. Climbed up the hill without a blink of the eye, and I suggested another trot. We pushed it to medium, but somehow I lost them when we passed a walker who stopped to gawk on the twenty-foot wide trail. I said my hellos and how it was a beautiful day, without Q missing a trot beat. So I just kept on but slowed my pace for them to catch up, which they did at a good clip.

At the fourth ravine, a tree was down. Our aging reiner plowed through, going under but getting grazed by the tree. The three of us on taller horses decided to try and remove some of the tree. We parked the horses, got off, and started yanking at the branches of this rotting tree. We pulled enough away to make a 3 foot wide path along the side of the hill. Good enough.

Back on, and homeward bound, as my Q showed everyone how good he sidepasses up to picnic benches so I can pull myself on board.

Back home, and Q is not hot, and barely broke a sweat. It was a fantastic ride, and Q was a delight to ride with lots of adjustable gaits and great leadership. He felt in strong athletic form, and would have kept going for a few more hours. And he was happy with all the apple crunch, peppermints, apples and carrots he got.



Comments

  1. Replies
    1. Heading out today again! Perhaps I will be finally doing my solo trip. Excited to see how hard and fast we can go alone. ;-0

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Pumpkin Spice and the empty cup

Gloomy November

The Arctic Winter Riding Handbook

What a trip!

What the whip?