Section 1, or Q’s revenge

Me: Can we walk please?
Q: But you said “zoom zoom zoom”.



After yesterday's ride, Q decided to show me just how much he had a need for speed. Our first day of summer and it was hot and sunny. I packed a water bottle and set out on the buckle. 

As soon as we hit the last ravine and got to the first long sandy track, he was all business. I spent the whole rest of trail either on the buckle or on the handbreak. Not much middle ground with Q today.


The last ravine of Section 2 before we get to Section 1
Each of these ravines has a bubbling brook at the bottom, some of them the horses can drink in.
This sandy track is the official beginning of Section 1, occasionally called The Arches for a large wooden arch that used to stretch across this trail at the top but has since crumbled to the ground.




This fork is actually a great loop through the forest. I started trotting down the right, and then came galloping up the left 15 minutes later. Mostly hard packed sand with very few roots or rocks.




The colors here in the fall are spectacular as most of the trees are maple.

Another long sandy hard-packed track. Lots of intersections with other trails so maybe not the best place to gallop. At least not on a weekend.

Off to the left is a little trail that leads ...

... to a great big oasis. The sand here is epic, and deep. Caution is the key word.

Rolling hills of sand.

Some summers the water here is so deep that horses can swim (with the riders)

It was my first time at "the lake" alone. And I've only brought Q here 2-3 times in the last 2 years. He is not an accomplished water bunny, but usually a good apprentice. Well today Q decided he did not want to go down the steep hill of deep sand. With much prodding and restarting, we finally made it down but he attempted to drop and roll a few times much to my dismay.

Then once we were down at the water, and after I had taken some pictures, he decided he did not want to go near the water, let alone cross it. At first I thought he was just being silly, but he soon amped up his antics and started backing up.

Uhoh. I was alone. I didn't have lots of options. I didn't want him to think he had these types of choices. I decided to just address the backing up. We tight circled to the left. Circled to the right. Then asked to go to the water again. He backed up again. We circled again, both directions. I asked again, he went forward. YEAH! Pats, love, good boy.

He went two feet towards the water, then sidepassed.  Then backed up. We went back to circling. I asked again. He went to within a foot of the water. YEAH! Dropped reins, pats, love, good boy. He then dropped his head, and sniffed the water. Tried to back away again, but I had leg on. He went forward.

And then he drank. And played with the water. I considered leaving it there. But figured I would just walk back and forth along the shallow edge. Then, I asked him to cross the deep section. Well, within a second we were on the other side. Done.

Hmmm. Ok.

Q doesn't test me very much. I ask, he does. (except for tarps and plastic pools) But he did just turn 6 this year and this is his second year under saddle. So it's not surprising he would test me. I've been waiting for it for the last six months and thought the silly monsters would come out with the spring jollies.

The whole endeavour lasted five minutes, and if that is going to be the extent of his testing, to the tune of "I dont want to, and you aren't serious", then Im cool with that.

This section was a bit boggy but easy peasy.
Q thought about not going into this water crossing, but some strong leg and a little rein direction, and he went in without a struggle.
Q struggled getting up that big sand hill with very deep footing. He wanted to canter, then trot, but I made him walk. No need for suspensory injuries, thank you.

Once up to the top, he was a bit pooped. So I took a picture.

We then tucked into the forest and did another loop of canter and trotting. This path was a bit more curvy.



This narrower path also has the benefit of providing a bit more shade, sometimes. And its a great path for long canters or fast trots. The footing is impeccable.

The beauty of this area is the occasional cement blocks that allow me an easy mounting block should I want to get off. I know where ALL the cement blocks are. 

One of my favorite spots to canter with a slight uphill grade. Q was very strong here today and is learning tricks on how to let me give in, like diving his head down to pull the reins out of my hands. Silly!
Some of the sandy trails are in the forest too. Good to escape the hot sun sometimes.

The ravine leads us back to homebase in Section 2.

We got back to the ravines of section 2 and I mostly went back to the buckle, figuring it would be good to give him extra time to cool off with the heat. But there was a nice section that I decided to test our brakes at the canter, and he was still strong. So, more work needed here.

After 90 minutes, and having depleted my water bottle, we made it back home in what was now a blistering sun. Then it was bathtime, roll, and then a nice graze of the tall summer grass.

After a bath, must have a roll! Fine by me, it's a cheap back massage.



Q will have some time off this week as I head down for a roadtrip to Connecticut for sunshine, seaside, fresh lobster and boatloads of oysters.

Comments

  1. How do you have so much sand in Calgary? Alterta? Ontario? None of those make sense to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that looks like so much fun. What a good horse Q is!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Pumpkin Spice and the empty cup

Gloomy November

The Arctic Winter Riding Handbook

What a trip!

What the whip?