Progress means less chafing

Earlier this week, I thought I might be doomed. After my very uncomfortable 3 hour walking torture ride, where I squirmed and repositioned every five of the last 90 minutes, I frantically started google searching for solutions for blisters, chafing, muscle cramps, etc. Lots of solutions and ideas, personal fitness being one of them … but there is a limit to how much can be overcome in the remaining 4 weeks.

I have found an improvement in my recovery time, and more energy on the days I start with strength training. But, what about this chafing in the area of unmentionables???

I tackled round 2 of the excruciating 3 hour torture trail yesterday on a cold (3c) sunny blustering day, with gusts cracking the tree tops to the ground. Q wasn’t too pleased, nor was I. A few bolts and skirmishes in the first hour and then he started to settle down, no longer spooking at the shadows.

I did a few things differently, stopping to pee midway and getting off twice to stretch my legs, and incorporating 2 short stretches of trot, but overall my comfort level was 10x better. Being more comfortable meant I didn’t shift in the saddle as much, which kept me centered and balanced …and alas, there was no chafing! Hmmmm

I also did lots of box breathing which of course calmed my nerves, and had me yawning. Q also started to relax. This helped me pass the monotonous time and made the whole ride seem much shorter.

When I dismounted I was only a little stiff and not tired at all (a first), as I brought Q to the open pasture for some grazing while I ate my lunch. The next day I was a little stiff in the lower back, but nothing too bad.

In our last hour Q was still very peppy, so Im glad my torture walks aren’t such a hardship on him. I am truly grateful to have him as a partner in this preparation. He has been getting extra treats in addition to the grazing, peppermints, carrots and bananas, as Ive been packing a small bag of apple slices for the trail that I share with him. And my husband found a box of oatmeal cream pies that Q has been enjoying. I do wonder if he would prefer an extra banana instead.





Comments

  1. There’s a product that bikers use to help with chafing . I think you can find it in sports store.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Canter Protocol

Carb Coma

What a trip!

Stepping out in Hungary

4 weeks later