Q gets acupuncture

There is a wonderful veterinarian-turned-acupuncturist that works in our area, and Q gets an exam and sometimes a treatment once every six months. With our latest saddle restuffing, I thought it was good timing to take a look. This lovely older gentleman has over 30 years of equine acupuncture practice (in addition to 20 years as an equine vet) and many a story to tell but the biggest stories come from his patients and his magic hands.

While I have never tried acupuncture on myself, I have been successfully treated for many ailments with osteopathy and I believe in the body as a system that can often heal itself.

So today was the day, and I watched him do several treatments before it was our turn. Q had no back pain or soreness, but his weakness in the left hind was flaring up and probably connected with the increased work on collection over the last few weeks. So, he got some needles and then I watched him slowly drift to sleep as he licked my arm slower and slower.

After these treatments, riding is discouraged. After a bit of rest and lunch, I figured it would be a good idea for the first real bath of the summer and some good grass eating. Q agreed, although he could have done without the bath.




And then it was my time to rest. In the hammock. Yeah, summertime.

Comments

  1. I've read some good results with acupuncture for people and horses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've known a lot of people whose horses have had great results with acupuncture (Ozzy was one of them!) I wonder if it would help Kylie with the lingering weakness in her RH.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When Q was 3, he had a locking stifle (growing pains) issue in the LH and since we have been doing regular acupuncture every 6 months, along with selenium supplements and lots of low-grade strengthening exercises, he has been feeling really strong and athletic. Im a fan.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Pumpkin Spice and the empty cup

Gloomy November

The Arctic Winter Riding Handbook

What a trip!

What the whip?