Riding with others after riding alone

The company and conversation is a nice change of pace as I ride out with others after many weeks of mostly riding alone. I have come to realize that our pace has changed and while we would never be competitive in a western pleasure ring, my Q has been pulling out a gorgeous and comfortable jog along the trail as my fellow riders seek to match his gait. We switch positions, go side by side, and it doesn’t matter what the other horse is doing ... he just sticks to his rhythm like a slow salsa or merengue.









My coach and mentor who I haven’t worked with in years first taught me the jog and often used the reference of dancing, lightly shifting weight from left to right stirrup in the cadence you wish to horse to maintain. When we “get it”, it's just magic.

While riding alone, I have gotten in to the habit of singing in tempo especially when jogging or loping and once Q achieves the set pace I drop all contact with reins/legs and just dance with him. So I guess with dozens of solo rides under our belt and lots of singing and dancing, we have gotten comfortable with our pace and settle into a groove.

I went out riding with M today and her paint draft cross. She has had a few episodes of late where her horse had explosive reactions to horses trotting or cantering in proximity. She reminded me of something I said to her a while back that I didn’t trust draft crosses or cold bloods. I was saying how they can appear dull and lethargic and some riders are lulled into thinking they are bombproof. Perhaps because of that, they often don’t get the same amount of training. And then when something happens, they can react explosively and with their power and strength they can be as hard to stop as a freight train.

Obviously Im painting with a big brush, but I was trying to make the case for the sensitive hot heads that are always telegraphing their discomfort, joy and fear. It feels like you are in a constant conversation. At least thats how it feels with Q although I definitely would not describe him as a hothead. Sensitive though, yes.

Ive come to appreciate the sensitivity of arabians and andalusians. I still appreciate the work ethic of the often stoic QH and of course even in the breed standards there are wide disparities. But whatever the breed or type, what I really want is a dance partner that wants to chat as we glide across the trails.







Comments

  1. I agree with you about the more stoic horses. The training still needs to teach them how to handle stress otherwise they have no idea and explode.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Q gets acupuncture

Come ride with me, in five sections

Preparing Patagonia

Canter Protocol

4 weeks later