Pocketful of mints, aka the slowroll

It has been over twenty-five years since I did a solo trail ride bareback. Today was the day. Q was amazing, and gave me the confidence to ride on the buckle most of the way. When we came up to a road crossing, I got nervous because I could hear an unseen car climbing the road and was afraid it was the roadster sans muffler that had been gunning it up and down the road earlier. So I asked Q to trot, and he steadily complied with the smoothest transitions.
Comfy and confident!

The last time I had done this was with my first QH Rocky that I moved from Canada to Costa Rica (in the winter - bad idea) to live on the Pacific Ocean with me. We would go ride on the beach and in the ocean and bareback was the way to go. It was mostly walking around and I honestly don’t remember galloping bareback since my poney days as a teenager.

Of course my new best friends bareback pad is amazing. It provides a little cushion, gives a stickiness to my seat with the suede-like top and adheres to Qs coat with a neoprene mesh. Its stable and super comfy and makes me confident. A keeper, and an easy purchase on amazon in my favorite colors of navy with purple piping.

Since Q was so mellow, it was also a good day for a quiet walk in the woods. I kept to the narrow meandering trails and was back home in 40 minutes with a boost of confidence in myself and my horse. Im looking forward to doing that again.





Q thinks he should get a peppermint now


I filled my pockets with peppermints and spoiled Q who enjoyed the pause (and the mint) everytime I wanted to take a picture. It was a lovely but cool day and there was an unusual light and coloring in the woods. Is it already time for autumn?

Comments

  1. Sounds like a lovely time- riding bareback is such a pleasure to relax and meander the trails. Love the pad colors too, can't resist the purple!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was! And I was back out there bareback today ... although with the steady company of barnmate M. It does require my steed to be in a chillax mood. Or at least, it helps.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

whoa whoa pony, otherwise known as "Do I really want to change?"

Prague, dark and moody

Come ride with me, in five sections

My worst hour

Trail riding at -30 degrees. The only thing that died was my phone.