But ... I wore a helmet?

I did a crazy thing today. Jumped off the cliff. Let go of the handlebars. Tossed caution to the wind.

I did not listen to my inner voice that says “If Only” + whatever is blocking... as in If only I was younger, fitter. If only I was a better rider. If only my horse was better trained. If only I had a better roundpen. If only I had a safer horse. If only.

I listened to the voice of my 9 year old self that says “Imagine” + whatever you dream about. I may have four decades on my 9 year old self with all the physical and mental limitations that brings, but today I said Carpe Diem.

The peanut gallery looked on in shock and amazement as I approached the mounting block without saddle or bridle. As I stood on the block and Q parallel parked beside me, I suggested someone predial 911 just in case, slight apprehension in my voice.

Q was confused at first as we left the mounting block, and he did a 10 meter circle to park again at the block because he clearly felt I had forgotten something. The crowd giggled nervously.

And then we headed to the ring in a not too straight fashion and I did a few circles each way making sure the brakes were there.

And then we did this.

It all lasted 5 minutes after which I decided to put on the bridle and go for a little stroll on the trail. It was a hot day so we stuck to the narrow winding trails. The side benefit of trotting bridleless is that I was more comfortable trotting bareback on the buckle. That’s progress.



I did something today I have never done before. And my inner 9 year old smiles.

Thanks Q. You give me wings.

What shall I dream of next?

Comments

  1. Oh how fun!!! Congrats on getting up the nerve to try it. Looks like it went swimmingly <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes its about quieting my inner voice.. :-)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Q gets acupuncture

Come ride with me, in five sections

Preparing Patagonia

Canter Protocol

4 weeks later