Stepping out in Hungary

So its the last night at the ranch in the steppes, or grasslands, of Hungary. Its mostly quite flat in an undulating kind of way with patches of forests and marshlands. This national park is a bird sanctuary and we see the occasional deer along the way. While much of it feels familiar because of the sand and pine forests, there are a few notable differences.

First, the sand roads go on for long distances which has us often cantering 3-5 km stretches. Thats 3-4 times the distance we generally do at home. Second, there are no electric high transmission power lines to mar the view. Third, the grass sections stretch out for miles in each direction with a view that is not customary.



The ranch is great. We figured out a good rhythm after a few days that had us gathering in the sauna and jacuzzi in the evening because there is literally nothing else to do. The beat here is very relaxed, and we have all achieved a great zen state.

We had a good reining lesson this morning when they pulled out the champion horses. I rode both horses and got to practice my timing for multiple flying lead changes. That will help me with my next steps on Q at home.

Im glad I came out, and happy to have made wonderful new Swedish friends (next trip must include Stockholm). Being in the quiet of the park, woken up by foals nickering below me, napping on the hammock, and riding 4 hours a day for several days in a row was a joy. Im a little apprehensive about returning to noisy Budapest tomorrow, but anxious for our upcoming trip to Krakow and seeing an old friend after 17 years.

I do have a finer appreciation for my smooth adjustable Q at home and comfy County saddle after this trip, even though I appreciated the safety and surefootedness of my mare Maya. We did much faster gallops today so it was less of a struggle to keep her at the right gait within the confines of the group.

And Im finally no longer sore. Maybe its just time, maybe its the hours in the jacuzzi, or maybe its the infrared sauna they had. But the non riders had a good chuckle at me being just as sore as them. 

Comments

  1. Sounds amazing to be able to ride for hours a day! Something like that is on my bucket list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura. It was quite the trip! And I made some great friends who love riding adventures.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks T. I kept wanting to pinch myself!

      Delete
  3. My aunt used to comment on a Monday after a 50 miler, "You ride ALL the time, how can you be this sore, that you cannot even go up and down stairs?!" Well....*shrug*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How about not being able to sit without holding on to something?

      Delete
  4. This sounds like a wonderful experience. wow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely a great experience, and not very expensive.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Gotcha Day

Pocketful of mints, aka the slowroll

Bliss in slow motion

Ouch says the ground

Prague, dark and moody