MacGyvermore

The weather has been awful for the trails. More ice than snow creating a bunch of depressed shut-ins trying to make arena time palatable. Even those with four winter shoes and cleats are condemned to the indoors.

I did have one good ride this week when the mild weather made the trails all slushy. But we are now back to the deep freeze, and so we are stuck again. Despite driving two hours to get to the barn, I did not want to ride. Which just seems ridiculous.

So I figured I would try my new hackamore and MacGyver my bridle to keep the cheek pieces away from his eyes. It worked pretty well and it continues to impress me how good the brakes are with the curb strap. I lift, he halts. We did a few transitions halt-trot-halt and I got off after 15 minutes. No need to drill that today.

I also took some pictures of his warts and markings, keeping a watchful eye on any potential sarcoids growing. And thought I would share a pic of his Prophets Thumb on his neck. Of course my thumb fits, but his indent is small enough to probably fit most thumbs. I circled it so it could be a bit more obvious.



Comments

  1. It can be hard to stay motivated in an indoor. Maybe use poles and cones to make some obstacles?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I really fail at indoor "work". My perspective is that the indoor work is only to make my trail rides safe and fun. If I can get safe and fun without the work, all the better.
      Most of the time, that is where I am at. ;-)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What the whip?

Gloomy November

The Arctic Winter Riding Handbook

Trust, a two-way street

Preparing Patagonia