Is this good enough?

Yesterday, I was listening to famous podcaster Ira Glass of This American Life justify his obsessive, micro-management behaviour in his quest for perfection. He spoke of the need to do something great. That good enough was not enough. That if it couldn’t be great, then why bother?

Wow. 
I haven’t achieved greatness or world acclaim in anything. My need for new conquests and adventures always trumps my need for excellence. I’ve never stuck with a single discipline (riding, professional, or educational) for very long, and I often tout the benefits of lateral and agnostic thinking.

The need for greatness is sometime rooted in a competitive desire to be loved, admired or appreciated. Greatness can become a symbol or achievement that confirms our value and worth. It sometimes has an external validation (award, prize, achievement) or can be the personal satisfaction of a job well done.

And yet the path for greatness is also about never being satisfied. Continuously striving for more, better, bigger.

As I have gotten older, I have a sharper understanding of our mortality. Carpe diem. And as I seek joy and happiness, I sometimes sacrifice greatness and achievement. Greatness still beckons like mermaids on the sea, but I strive to focus on the value of the experience.

My students past and present often fall into the pattern of letting others determine their worth as they seek future employment (positions, titles, salaries, corner office), much as I once did. It is so easy to measure worth when it is accompanied with numbers and all things qualifiable. Likes, shares, links.

I hope to live the years I have left cultivating joy and possibility. Not for any recognition or reward, but only to see the eyes open wide and discover their potential. 

These are my slightly overripe bananas that I am bringing to the barn. Q is a big fan and has even been known to swallow the peel when I am not looking. I usually bring him bananas that are firmer. These are smelly, soft, and past their prime. And of course pumped of sugar (joy!).


Is this good enough? Yes. Yes, it is.



Comments

  1. You are wise. I think we waste a lot of energy, time and emotion trying to be perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are banana peels harmful to horses?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know that they are harmful, as most bananas are protected in a blue bag when they are on the tree ... but I do wonder what chemicals the peels might have interacted with. It would seem that most horses do not like banana peels because they are bitter. But I have to watch my horse because he will sneak one super fast if I give him the opportunity.

      Delete
    2. I feed them regularly cuz my husband loves to eat bananas. A friend told me they are bad cuz they have chemicals but I recently watched a video about banana production and they seem safe to me. I wish I knew, cuz my donkey and horse love my husband's daily banana peel.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Q gets acupuncture

Come ride with me, in five sections

Gloomy November

Preparing Patagonia

Cold Sunshine