Squash trials

These last few days have been quite the blender adventure. After my success with “Apple Pie Smoothie”, I became quite adventurous. Being strapped to the house also made me restless, so I hit the kitchen at the crack of dawn to battle the stove. Roasting grass-fed beef bones and vegetables for some pressure-cooker broth, roasting acorn and butternut squash for soups and purees, and blending more smoothies.

Fail: “ Squash Smoothie”, with roasted acorn squash, almond milk, ice cubes, maple syrup, cinnamon. It tasted like drinking pumpkin pie. Not a keeper.




Success: “Leek and Acorn Squash Soup”, with homemade beef broth, acorn squash, leeks, and aleppo pepper. Yummy! Had two big bowls until my belly was full. And because it was in a purée form, it was super easy to slurp.

Fail: “Pulled Pork Paprikash”, with pork shoulder, onions, Hungarian spicy paprika. I threw this in the blender to avoid chewing and it just made me think of dog food. I threw it out and ate ice cream instead. 😁

Success: “Kiwi Banana Smoothie”, with golden kiwis, frozen banana, plain yogourt, almond milk, maple syrup. Yummy, although the kiwi is a delicate flavour that can easily be overpowered. A yummy start to the day.

This morning the swelling makes me look like a chipmunk but I should be ok for the two hour drive to the barn. I thought I might just do some long reining, but depending on trail conditions I might go for a little walk in the woods. Apparently yesterday’s snow stuck and the woods are white.

Comments

  1. At least you haven’t lost your sense of humour!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After four days of this liquid diet, I feel like I am losing it fast.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Q gets acupuncture

Come ride with me, in five sections

Gloomy November

Preparing Patagonia

Cold Sunshine