Let’s go again

It was a beautiful sunny day and despite my persistent jet lag and boat loads of work, I cleared my schedule and headed out to the barn for my first spring ride on Q. He was lovely and so soft on the cues, despite being off work for five weeks. Our first canter depart took a few strides but we then tuned in to each other very quickly.

My first ride was with stall buddy M who is just a delight to ride with. It was however just a short ride as we were both rushing back to the barn for daily coffee break with crew and whoever is hanging around. This coffee break has become my respite from the craziness of my life over the almost 15 years I have been at this barn. Boarders and friends come and go, but this regular coffee chat happens around noon every day but Sunday and many bring cookies, treats, and good cheer. It’s like our own personal fica.

Then I decided to do a second ride, this time with barn owner T as she poneyed her new colt on the trails. The first few minutes were interesting as Q was perturbed by all the scrambling and rearing of the cute colt. But we quickly settled, found some water hazards to stroll through and I told T all about my trip and the things I learned. 

One hour in, Q and I are quietly in the back in the buckle, the colt and poney horse quiet and steady. We take the last ravine leading home and as we start climbing up, Q starts acting really weird. Pinning his ears, rushing the colt, swishing his tail, kicking out. .??? I thought he might have a bug between his legs or that the saddle slipped into an uncomfortable position. We tried trotting off and it helped a bit. But when we got back to walking he was getting increasingly angry and pissy. 

Finally I said I would get off and walk back because something was wrong (and we were 5 mins away). She suggested that it might be the colt and that I could try walking in front. Surprise, surprise! All his pissiness disappeared and we proceeded to home, cool as a cucumber, on the buckle.

So ... my Q has opinions? Well next time I wont doubt myself and Ill just get him busy doing leg yields.

I must say that my saddle felt like butter and I had forgotten how smooth my Q was. What a pleasure to ride!

Comments

  1. Ah, do you think he was wondering why this whippersnapper was in front?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was definitely curious, and a first. I think the context of being moments from home coupled with the antics that the young whippersnapper would engage in on every uphill slope were significant factors. That said, it won't be acceptable in the future. ;-)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What the whip?

Gloomy November

The Arctic Winter Riding Handbook

Trust, a two-way street

Preparing Patagonia