Ice Maturity

On the eve of Q’s 9th birthday, I can say that this Florida-born native has finally got his ice legs. Ever since he arrived, in the middle of snow and ice in March 2016, his body would go into a scrambling panic at the mere hint of slippery ice. I took precautions and watched for icy conditions in the shoulder seasons. His turnout was always limited when footing was compromised.

We had a few incidents over the years. Crossing a field with fresh snow, we ended up on top of a 20 foot wide slick puddle covered with light snow. Once we were in the middle, all traction was lost. Q panicked, did a 180 and jumped towards the fence plowing my knee into a square wooden post. He was safe, I still have the scar.

When trail reports speak of ice, I abstain. Sometimes I will do some road walking with him instead. 

I could put winter shoes with studs, but his hooves are spectacular (and mule-like: upright, tough, balanced) and he does really well barefoot. I could put boots on, but I don't bother as ice is usually only an issue a few weeks a year. So we grin and bear it, and take advantage of our indoor arena when we absolutely must (which this winter hasn’t happened yet).

And so we found ourselves attempting our potentially last winter ride this week. The day before had been a glorious 2 hour ride in slushy snow with lots of amazing canters and a sunny temperature of 16C!!! Lets try one more???

We cross our field (Siberia in winter, Sahara in summer) of now rotting snow, falling through and prompting Q to literally bunny hop the remaining drifts. We walk carefully to the ATV crossing and see this 😮… and we cross it (straight line, sit back, legs on)! 



We cross the x-country ski trail, go up a slight incline, and then see this 😮… and I stop, take a picture while Q waits patiently, like a real pro! I then decide it’s not worth it to continue. With my left leg on, and a bit of neck rein, Q proceeds to do the most beautiful 180 on this narrow section of trail with ice underfoot and never stepped off into the rotting snow. We proceeded back down on the icy decline and I aborted ship through the x-country trail to get to the road 30 feet away to avoid redoing that ATV icy monstrosity.



When I look at that picture again I am struck with how mature and professional Q has become over the years. He crossed that icy road calmly and resolutely, and then climbed that icy incline! He is an amazing partner, and makes me laugh every day. 

It is often said that the Inuit have dozens of words for ice and snow in Inuktituk. At this time of year I believe it, because multiple environmental factors affect its consistency and sinkability.

But how many words should we have for love? ❤️ 


Comments

  1. Way to go Q. He's such an awesome horse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Praise be the horses that ooze personality. ❤️

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Happy 8th Birthday Mon Amour!

Expansion of normal

Quaint Krakow

The Complexity of Trail Access

Prague, dark and moody